News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

soldering iron question

Started by danwelsh, December 25, 2013, 08:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwelsh

Hi guys....my girl got me a variable wattage iron for Xmas. What wattage would I use for component soldering?

pickdropper

Does the adjustment show wattage or temperature?  Or does it just have a relative scale?
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

muddyfox

Do you have any way of determining the tip temperature? Maybe an IR thermometer?

alanp

I'm pretty certain it's too high for people who know what they're doing, but 40W works for me.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

danwelsh

It just allows me to change the wattage

jkokura

25W is good for most soldering on a PCB. You should go up to 40 if you're doing any soldering to a pot, as in rewiring a guitar harness.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pickdropper

Yep, Jacob hit the nail on the head.  25w for PCB work is more than enough.  Once in a while you might hit a nasty ground plane, but you can just increase it then.
Function f(x)

danwelsh

Right on......thanks guys for the help

Clayford

So I'm gonna take it at 645° (per my iron) for 63/37 solder is "too hot" then? I've never had any problems, usually allows for quick in and out except for pots. Seems to work fine with PCB and Vero (not so quick out there, but that's ok)

Edit: Found the answer to my question:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5702.0

head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

pickdropper

Quote from: Clayford on December 29, 2013, 04:59:04 PM
So I'm gonna take it at 645° (per my iron) for 63/37 solder is "too hot" then? I've never had any problems, usually allows for quick in and out except for pots. Seems to work fine with PCB and Vero (not so quick out there, but that's ok)

Not a problem at all.  I use 63/37 at 720 degrees F.  Just get in and out fast and you'll be fine.
Function f(x)

Clayford

Thanks Pickdropper - Think you even said the same thing in other thread.

It's like deja-vu, all over again.

Rockhorst

So I'm gonna take it at 645° (per my iron) for 63/37 solder is "too hot" then?

Now, as a physics teacher I feel the urge to insist that you should mention the proper units (or any unit in this case) of your measurement. As a European, your post scared the hell out of me: I only solder at 320, about half the numerical value, degrees...Centigrade that is!

Thanks for adding in the Fahrenheit, Pickdropper ;)

pickdropper

Quote from: Rockhorst on December 30, 2013, 01:27:27 PM

Now, as a physics teacher I feel the urge to insist that you should mention the proper units (or any unit in this case) of your measurement. As a European, your post scared the hell out of me: I only solder at 320, about half the numerical value, degrees...Centigrade that is!

Yeah, there is a rather pronounced difference between 720 F and  C.

Not sure why the US uses F either, but there we are.
Function f(x)

Clayford

Quote from: Rockhorst on December 30, 2013, 01:27:27 PM

645°C ~ 1200°F I bet that's hot, and yeah that'd scare me too. Sorry for the heart attack Rockhorst!

playpunk

The US uses Fahrenheit because it is superior. Otherwise all of the measurements sound too small.

"my legend grows" - playpunk