News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Installing a gear on a Wah pot

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, April 30, 2014, 06:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

I have reached out to the wah master... Joe Gagan but, I figured someone here might know as well.....

I am trying to install a Wah pot gear onto a solid shaft 24mm pot. The gear has a small through-hole on one end for a small metal dowel. My question is this:

What can I use to drill a hole through the solid metal shaft so I can install the dowel?

The dowel pin is very small so I was thinking about using a PCB bit BUT.... those are very delicate and will most likely break while drilling the steel/aluminum shaft.

Anyone done this before? Advice??

pryde

not sure what size bit you need but I would use a cobalt bit as it is the hardest/sharpest and may not snap as easily as a standard bit

GrindCustoms

Agreed with Pryde for the bit type to be used.

Also, i would'nt do that free hand and have the pot shaft clamped somehow.

The metal of the shaft itself is rather smooth, if you're drilling jig is solid, you should have any issue.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

pryde

Also I would use a punch on the pot shaft to get a solid start with the cobalt bit

wgc

The hardest thing is starting & keeping it centered as you go through. Bring all the parts and some donuts to a local machine shop and they'll hook you up. ;)
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

rullywowr

Is the "metal dowel" a roll pin?  If not, you can pick them up at harbor Freight tools.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Govmnt_Lacky

Thanks for the responses guys....

I'm gonna take the great one's advice and just use epoxy!  ::)