News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dumb question about Beavis Board

Started by BraindeadAudio, September 26, 2012, 12:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BraindeadAudio

Was working fine then all of a sudden no sound...All wiring fine... Works on breadboard, but.... it happened as soon as I plugged in a project I made on strip board. sound goes through project, pots work on volume ETC, but no effect...am I missing something on how to ground the board and jacks or something?  Any help appreciated...

jkokura

Hmm... Unfortunately, no matter how many times I read what you've posted, I'm not clear on what you're issue is. I think we need clearer, and perhaps more, details. Happy to help when you can share more specifics.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

BraindeadAudio

When i make a circuit on the breadboard it works and when i make something on strip board and try and test it out doesn't work. I know how to make cuts on the board, and the pots work but no distortion or any fx. Im putting the input to input, output to output. 9v to.9v and putting all grounds to ground. Do i need to make a spare ground connection?  It's confusing because it worked on bread board...

BraindeadAudio

In short, i am trying to plug a project i made on strip board into beavis board to test before wiring up inside enclosure and its not working.

jkokura

Essentially, if it works when you're just using it as a breadboard, than it's either the effect you've built on the stripboard that has an error on it somewhere (debugging) or you've done something wrong while hooking it up. There's no way for us to tell, so you have to start working the debugging steps. The things I'd check first:

Triple check your setup. If you've checked, and checked and checked, and it looks like you've hooked it up correctly, than you've got a problem on the board. However, don't assume you have it correct. Try and hook it up from scratch again.

Check your part values and orientation. Don't assume your circuit has been built correctly.

Check your soldering and your cuts. Don't assume anything is correct.

Check your offboard wiring - have you accidentally swapped your input for ouptut?

Last but not least, start taking voltages. If your circuit is not getting 9V, it's not going to work...

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

BraindeadAudio

Its getting power through entire board, volume and starve pots working but others not. No bad connections, input and output work just doesn't make sense that the effect isn't working when others have. Also, a few designs hase multiple grounds...all should be iconnected to each other Correct?

jkokura

Again, I'm really not sure what you're meaning specifically. When you say "getting power through the entire board," do you mean the Beavis board or the PCB you're working with? If the former, that's fine, now get the voltages on the PCB. If the latter, than you've got to start audio probing if the voltages look fine. When you say "no bad connections, input and output work," Do you mean the Beavis Board of the PCB you're working on? If the Former, than fine, what about the PCB? If the Latter, than again, you need to audio probe. Multiple grounds only matter if you have multiple things to connect, so if the Beavis board is grounded, and the PCB is attached to that ground, it doesn't matter if you have extra ground wires as long as all that needs to be connected is.

You keep seeming to be blaming the board for the problem. Chances are high that either you're making a simple mistake and missing it, or the PCB itself is not working properly. Just because you have made a million that have worked fine before, does not mean that this one is not the problem. Again, I will suggest that you not assume anything is working, and carefully recheck and check. Supplying us with the voltage numbers on the PCB itself is the next step if you have done all the steps I suggested above.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

pryde

Listen to Jacob  ;)

Just to ensure your beavis board is ok which I assume it is, check your + and - buses on the breadboard for voltage with a DMM. Good? Next just plug your input/output wires together on the breadboard (with no effect) and make sure you are getting signal through the breakout box. Good? If yes then listen to Jacob  ;D

If not, then obviously wiring must be checked throughout the beavis board. Regardless, still listen to Jacob  8)

BraindeadAudio

Checked all my wiring inside the beavis case...power starve working correctly, power going to board correctly.

breadboards fine...now just to test my theory to make sure I didnt make stripboard project incorrectly, I also took working project and plugged into breadboard rig, no sound again.

but when put in enclosure again it works fine?

only thing I can think of, is that its grounding wrong causing no sound to come out.

Will post photos of what Im talking about this weekend, maybe not explaining it correctly.

I also, have a dwarfcraft great destroyer I made on stripboard that has VERY low output....with such a minimal parts count, what could be causing that?

Heres the layout I used http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/08/dwarftcraft-great-destroyer.html

jkokura

Essentially, you've narrowed the problem down: either you are doing something wrong, or there's a problem with the breadboard.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*