News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Adding a Road Rage to an optical tremolo?

Started by midwayfair, February 12, 2012, 05:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Can I add a road rage to an optical tremolo circuit (a Trem Lune-type in this case), or do I have to change something in particular on the tremolo board (like the input resistor) to accept the higher voltage first?

If this is much more complicated than changing one or two values, I'll skip it and use the road rage in something else. :-\

Thanks!

stecykmi

in general, you can often run effects at higher than normal voltage just as long as all the parts are rated for that voltage. Usually this only affects electrolytic caps, however. So just as your caps are fine, everything else should be okay just as long as you keep it under 30V for opamp-based designs and maybe 35-40V for transistor based designs although it depends on the specific devices used of course.

In most situations, anything more than 18V is pretty much overkill for guitar effects, excepting tube-based circuits.

jkokura

Another thing to consider is why you would want to run things at a higher voltage. Often the reason has to do with headroom - the level at which distortion appears in your signal. So for example, running an overdrive at a higher voltage may give you more clean signal before it breaks up.

With your optical trem, I don't really see the benefit of running at a higher voltage, especially in the circuits I'm aware of. So in this case, I guess before you try it you need to ask why? After that, what's the harm in trying it out? Breadboard it or build a test version and see what happens.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals