News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Purpose of the diodes in the Bearhug FET compressor

Started by solderfumes, May 10, 2015, 07:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solderfumes

I've been looking at building an AMZ Mosfet Booster as a nice simple break from struggling with flangers, which led me to take a look at Jon's Bearhug FET Compressor.  (Why make *just* a booster if you can build a compressor and get the booster for free?)

I took a closer look at the Bearhug schematic and I have a question about D4, in the rectifier section (working from the schematic at this thread http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=6802.0.  Is it necessary?  It just goes straight to ground.  Without it, you'd have half-wave rectification similar to that in the Orange Squeezer, but with it... what's different?

midwayfair

it just seems to work better. It conducts the wave on the opposite swing -- it's not just half wave.

jubal81

Funny this came up today ...

I was just watching a Dave Jones video today where he goes over how to make an active peak detector and ponderificated on its use in a Bearhug kind of way.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

oldhousescott

Yeah, provides a path to ground for the displacement current through the coupling cap C8 on the positive cycle, so that the charge on the right side of the coupling cap stays near zero. On the negative cycle, it doesn't have to overcome a stored charge on C8.

solderfumes