Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What are you playing? (games)

Started by jtn191, April 23, 2016, 02:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 16, 2021, 05:01:34 PM
Not for nothing but.....

I took a GIANT leap into the 2010s and got me a Raspberry Pi 3. Fixed it up and got 'some' ROMS loaded for SNES, NES, and various Arcade sims (Special thanks to Mike (Flanagan) for the big assist)

Ran into some issues with the Coleco and Intellivision ROMs but I am sure it will get sorted.

Still want to get Daphne onto the Retropie and run Dragon's Lair  8)

How well does everything run, any lagging during games? I have a Pi 3 set up as a Plex media server (which is great). But it is painfully slow, so I was worried it would be unbearable to try and play games on it.

I just set up a Raspberry Pi 4 and bought components to build an arcade stick, but I keep waffling on how to set it up. I read after buying it that retropi only works on the pi 3. Not sure I even need to run the whole retropi thing anyway, I just pretty much want something like those old multiplayer arcade games, like the Ninja Turtles ones or the Simpsons so that I can play them with my kids.

midwayfair

Man, that sounds awesome. Got any pics to push me over the edge?
[/quote]

Are we still doing phrasing?

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Willybomb

QuoteI read after buying it that retropi only works on the pi 3

Retropie 4.6 works on RP4.  Those Ninja Turtle/Simpsons/X-men multiplayer games work fine on my RP3, although I haven't played multiplayer with it.

thesmokingman

on the pi4 you can get up to the dreamcast/n64 in emulation ... I run mine as overclocked as possible
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Matmosphere on March 17, 2021, 12:02:24 AM
How well does everything run, any lagging during games? I have a Pi 3 set up as a Plex media server (which is great). But it is painfully slow, so I was worried it would be unbearable to try and play games on it.

From what I have seen, the NES, SNES, and Arcade games seem to work ok. The N64 stuff is very "laggy" but I am running a Pi 3 with normal clocking so that might explain it.

Quote from: thesmokingman on March 17, 2021, 04:07:14 AM
on the pi4 you can get up to the dreamcast/n64 in emulation ... I run mine as overclocked as possible

I'm guessing that overclocking my Pi 3 will not have the same effect as a Pi 4 but, this is my first dabble into the Raspberry Pi and I am liking what I have so far.

matmosphere

Quote from: Willybomb on March 17, 2021, 03:17:52 AM
QuoteI read after buying it that retropi only works on the pi 3

Retropie 4.6 works on RP4.  Those Ninja Turtle/Simpsons/X-men multiplayer games work fine on my RP3, although I haven't played multiplayer with it.

Should have googled before posting. I just realized how long ago I looked into all of this.

WonkoTheSane

I played Wasteland 2 Director's Cut over the holidays, and I'm back to playing Fallout Tale of Two Wastelands.
That which burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

bantaxes

While it's true that earlier versions like the Pi 3 have limitations, the Raspberry Pi 4 offers significantly improved performance, which should alleviate concerns about lagging during gameplay.