News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Any cyclists on here?

Started by stevie1556, August 25, 2014, 05:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevie1556

Just wondering if there are any cyclists on here?

I got into it in March as a way to lose weight and build up my leg muscles ready for a knee operation that I had in June. As I didn't know if I would keep at it after the operation, I just got a cheap mountain bike, and as I really liked it, I've now upgraded to a cyclocross  (CX) bike. Managed to get a cracking deal on it, but due to it being in the shop for 2 weeks being repaired under warranty, I've only been riding again for about 2 weeks, but absolutely loving it!

Here she is! SRAM Apex groupset, and I put on Shimano m520 clipless pedals, but upgraded the cleats to multi release ones (saved me falling on my ass after I've stopped due to not unclipping my feet quick enough several times!

And here is a few pics of my ride down by the river a couple of days ago.....

And in winter when the trees loose their leaves, and the sky is grey, this bridge looks like something out of a Zombie film!

sturgeo

Yup, not been out on the road bike in far too long though!

I've only ever ridden my road bike with cleats, figured if i got used to it without i may struggle, not had an incident yet touch wood :))

Are you on strava? http://www.strava.com/athletes/530202

playpunk

I am a post-cyclist fusion runner.

I raced mountain bikes and road bikes before we had kids. Now I have a real career, and less time. Lame.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

stevie1556

I had never even heard of clipless pedals and cleats before I started looking for a CX bike! I've only fallen off once, but that wasn't due to the cleats thankfully.

I'm on Strava, I'm having trouble with it now though as I've also just got a Bryton Cardio 60 watch, which stops the timer when my bike stops, but when I upload the files to Strava, it shows it as  a full running time. Gonna try the auto pause on the watch and home that works for Strava.

sturgeo

Yup that is the way strava works, should get elapsed time and moving time.

I guess its to stop people stopping half way through a segment for a breather before carrying on.

muddyfox

Clipless is da shit!
I first clipped in into a pair of Look spd's way back in 1995 and haven't looked back! I can't ride "normal" pedals now to ride myself out of a paper bag  ::)

davent

What we consider our honeymoon, my wife and me put all our stuff in storage bought one way air tickets to London, packed along our bikes and camping gear and set off. We had a friend getting married outside Lisbon so we meandered our way down there in about 7 weeks. Eventually was getting too cold for our liking, alpine passses close dates were fast approaching and we were burning out so went back to Amsterdam where flights were plentiful and cheap to Toronto and bought tickets home. Cycled ~7000k, burned a ton a calories, met wonderful people everywhere we went, from downtown Paris to the smallest rural outpost, amazing people, sights, food, wine and beer... and roads, not to mention drivers who can share the road!

Great times!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

slimtriggers

Great looking bike!

Mountain bikes here.  Fell a couple times when i first went clipless, but it only takes a few rides to get the hang of it.  Once you get used to it it's a way more efficient transfer of power. 

Highly recommend Time ATAC pedals if you get the urge to upgrade.   The Crank Bros. Eggbeaters are supposed to be great as well, but I haven't tried them myself.

Oh, and Sidi shoes get a thumbs up.  I've had my old Dominators for many, many years and they're still holding up 8)

Droogie

Quote from: davent on August 25, 2014, 06:49:01 PM
drivers who can share the road!

As someone who commutes by bike from the middle of Brooklyn to mid-town Manhattan everyday for work, I read these words but they do not make sense.

Seriously though, that sounds like an amazing trip!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

lincolnic

I could've sworn we already had a bike thread somewhere on here.

But yeah, like Droogie, I'm also riding my bike around Brooklyn - an old Fuji Del Ray that was passed down to me from my dad. I just got the tubes replaced last week, and it feels great!

alanp

I biked to school pretty much every day. (Unless I could beg a ride off Dad in the morning, which meant both being an hour early, plus having to walk all the way home.)

The gear change wires are rusted solid on my bike, so you have to pedal like f*** to get anywhere, so I don't bother.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

RobA

Quote from: slimtriggers on August 25, 2014, 07:06:35 PM
...  The Crank Bros. Eggbeaters are supposed to be great as well, but I haven't tried them myself.

I've got the Crank Bros. Candy 3's on my single speed MTB and the Candy 1's on my cross bike. I really like them.  It seems though that some people really hate the Crank Brothers pedals. I'm not sure why, but there definitely seems to be some personal taste involved. To me, they are really simple to get in and out of and I love how minimal they are. I think that I'll probably move to the Eggbeaters for the cross bike when it comes time to overhaul the pedals.

Quote from: Droogie on August 25, 2014, 07:29:02 PM
Quote from: davent on August 25, 2014, 06:49:01 PM
drivers who can share the road!
As someone who commutes by bike from the middle of Brooklyn to mid-town Manhattan everyday for work, I read these words but they do not make sense.

My wife was hit on her morning commute to work a week ago today. Luckily, she didn't get hurt too badly, but she's still pretty banged up and can't use her arm very well yet. The doc told her it would be about a month before she can ride again and we'll have to get her a new bike. The person that hit her was a just a bit too impatient and cut the corner before she had made it across the road and hit her from the rear. The driver of the car got ticketed for careless driving resulting in serious bodily injury, not a great tradeoff for about 2 seconds of impatience.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

RobA

Quote from: stevie1556 on August 25, 2014, 05:28:10 PM
Here she is! SRAM Apex groupset, and I put on Shimano m520 clipless pedals, but upgraded the cleats to multi release ones (saved me falling on my ass after I've stopped due to not unclipping my feet quick enough several times!
That's a nice looking bike and even better, that looks like a great place to ride!

I haven't fallen while clipped in, but I did get really close to it once when, in a sudden flash of idiocy, I inexplicably leaned to the side I hadn't released from when I came to a stop sign. I was just able to get my foot out in time to stop from going down.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

muddyfox

Awww man! Sorry to hear about your wife, that is just horrible. Being (somewhat of) a cyclist, when in car I give all cyclists (and bikers as well) all the road I have to spare which sometimes prolly looks odd to the guy behind me but I know it feels good on the bike when you don't have your elbows banged up by car mirrors.  ::)

On the subject of eggbeaters, I agree it's a personal thing. I gave them a shot about five years back but they just felt wonky to me and had way more float than I was used to. I'm sure they shed mud better than spd's but I don't ride in that kind of weather so I just opted for the more locked-in feeling of Shimanos.

playpunk

Crank brothers pedals fail like crazy. Nothing like being 2 hours away from home on a 6 hour ride and have your pedal pull right off the spindle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk