News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fabbed (v5) ZOMBII board--ultimate noob project!!

Started by maysink, January 12, 2011, 06:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maysink

Let me preface this proclamation by mentioning I've built a crappy vero fuzz factory and a fantastic madbean v4 (etched) ZOMBII...

The recently fabbed (v5) ZOMBII is the perfect beginner project. The board is TIE-KNEE!! The component count is low and available [germ transistors avail at capsnsuch.com & sm. bear]. The fabbed board makes soldering a breeze. The pots are mounted (9mm alphas as mentioned in the docs) eliminating a ton of off-board wiring.

If you stumbled upon this site and are on the fence; take the plunge with the ZOMBII!
[nothing to see here]
-e

jtn191

cool, thanks for the confidence boost. I'm slowly working on a Zombii, Sqweaker, and taking another swing at a Slambox. With a new soldering iron and more knowledge I'm know I'll be able to pull through!

jcuempire

I agree it looks like a good "foot wetter", but I think a diagram of the pot, switch and LED wiring would go a long way in allying first project fears.  I know it would for me, anyway.  I've built all of 2 pedals and anything that will make it easier is welcome as far as I'm concerned. 

maysink

While I agree it's no 'turn key' pedal kit, the right pots eliminate 15 points of wiring. An offboard wiring (w/ LED) diagram can be found here.

I feel the bang-for-the-effort is quite high on this one and will likely encourage more complicated builds.
[nothing to see here]
-e

jcuempire

oh well, there you go.  Problem solved.  My point was that since the feeling is very fresh with me, I know how daunting the first project is.  Especially without a background in electronics.  It's just a nice to have the major building questions answered before you plug in the soldering iron, so that all your questions can be about why the damn thing doesn't work :)

aunchaki

Quote from: maysink on January 12, 2011, 06:02:02 AM
If you stumbled upon this site and are on the fence; take the plunge with the ZOMBII!

I was looking at the Fuzz Factory this morning, thinking "When I get some cash, I may need to buy me one of them!" This afternoon I found a link to this site (on a TDPRI thread). BANG!!

I'm looking forward to this build!

aunchaki

My Zombii  board just arrived. Dang! it's tiny! I may need to get one of those flip-down magnifier visors.

Thanks for the quick turnaround, MadBean. Now, I await the arrival of the parts!

ouija

Hey all!

have just purchased the V.5 Zombii board .. am new to pedal building and need some additional info for this build. I have a diagram for the board and components required .. BUT .. could anyone point me to a diagram of the actual wiring for this build... or a complete diagram of the Zombii/Fuzz Factory including .. 1/4" inputs / 3DPT / 9V dc etc .. also do i need to purchase log or linear pots?

Thanks for your assistance

jkokura

The build documents are available here at the madbean site. If you go to the home page and click on projects you'll find a list of all thexavailable pcbs, including the zombii. Clicking on the word zombii will bring up the build docs that you're asking for! Print them out and you're good to go!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

ouija

Hi Jacob

Yeah  ... I have those documents regards where to place parts and component details ... however .. I would like to know how to wire the Zombii board to the Jacks and 3PDT  .. also which side the Stereo and Mono jack needs to be on  - IN or OUT

.. Help!  :-\

jkokura

JMK PCBs *New Website*

ouija

Hey cheers! Jacob

That's just what am looking for. Looking at diagram 3#

I should mention, am planning to build the Zombie Fuzz in a larger Hammond enclosure, so want to mount the LED somewhere else. Is it cool to wire from the 3DPT like in the 3# diagram instead of the solder points on the Zombii board, therefore leaving the connection for LED on the board un-connected , or will I need to add +/- wires from the board to where the LED will be custom mounted elsewhere.

jkokura

Either way works just fine.

I usually use the onboard current limiting resistor on a madbean board, but I connect the LED's - side directly to the switch usually. I do this because I don't usually want to run a wire to the LED from the board, back to the board, and then to the switch when my LED is usually right beside the switch already!

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

ouija

Hey! good plan .. shall try that!

cheers again  ;)