News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Vapor Ray / Detour Optical Bypass

Started by rullywowr, January 02, 2015, 05:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

After a long hiatus, things are up and going again. My first build of 2015 is the Vapor Ray. Inspired by the Jan Ray, this circuit is similar to a Timmy with mild differences.   Sounds great, very smooth and usable drive. The Jan Ray sells for stupid money so this felt pretty good to bring to life.

I powder coated the enclosure flat black, and laser etched the graphics. Kobiconn jacks, ECQ-v caps, and the new detour optical bypass were used.  Flat top 3mm purple led and aluminum knobs make it complete.

The detour optical bypass uses the same switching scheme as the Classic "Voodoo" style.  It mounts directly on a DPDT stomp and uses a smaller, cheaper, more efficient optocoupler.  Plenty of extra power ports, and small footprint.  The smooth switching action is paired with pop-free switching.

These will most likely make an appearance at the store however I do have a limited few extra pcs if interested (PM me).   Thanks!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

selfdestroyer

Nice build Rully. I am really digging the flat black and silver knobs. This also reminds me that I have one of these populated that I wanted to box up. Its a great low part count OD.

Cody

jubal81

That is some top-notch work! Love the project names, too. Brilliant.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

playpunk

Sweet! I am digging my Catch-22... and I'm interested in that switch solution too.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

catfud

Very classy, tidy build -  can't go wrong with black, goes with everything.

rullywowr

rumbletone

Nice!! Will this and any others be in the store soon? Need to order a bunch (QoT, uAmp, PlexiCruise, ...) but will wait if others are being added soon

rullywowr

Quote from: rumbletone on January 03, 2015, 06:00:35 PM
Nice!! Will this and any others be in the store soon? Need to order a bunch (QoT, uAmp, PlexiCruise, ...) but will wait if others are being added soon

Thanks Rumble! 

Yes, many more being added very soon...'stay tuned ;)

Cortexturizer

You have pretty much perfected yourself to a degree from where you can't really go any more forward. What will you do now man?!
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

Hogharry

...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

electrosonic

I like those input / output jacks. Where are they sourced?

Andrew.

selfdestroyer

rullywowr

Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 04, 2015, 02:49:06 AM
Quote from: electrosonic on January 03, 2015, 11:21:59 PM
I like those input / output jacks. Where are they sourced?

Andrew.
1/4" Kobiconn mono
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/253/KC-301116-195791.pdf

Exactly.  These are great, I was fortunate enough to get in on a group buy for these a while back on the forum. I save them for special builds.

sturgeo

Very nice, i love the graphics! I might have to break out the powder coating gun and have another attempt at it now the compressor has had some TLC. Pre coated boxes in the UK never engrave as well as ones i've coated myself  :(

Quote from: rullywowr on January 02, 2015, 05:41:59 PM
The detour optical bypass uses the same switching scheme as the Classic "Voodoo" style.  It mounts directly on a DPDT stomp and uses a smaller, cheaper, more efficient optocoupler.  Plenty of extra power ports, and small footprint.  The smooth switching action is paired with pop-free switching.

I'm looking at ditching 3PDT footswitches from my pedals altogether, any other info on the optocoupler? it looks like it should fit into one of my 1590A builds...

rullywowr

Quote from: sturgeo on January 05, 2015, 11:47:40 AM
I'm looking at ditching 3PDT footswitches from my pedals altogether, any other info on the optocoupler? it looks like it should fit into one of my 1590A builds...

More information regarding the Detour bypass will be coming shortly.  The board is very small and will fit in a 1590a without issue.  Final PCBs are being fabricated as we speak and they will be available on the website soon for purchase.  They will be inexpensive and very handy!