News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TC ELECTRONICS WARNING!!

Started by AwesomeTyler, April 24, 2017, 10:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

How is that ripping you off? It's just a different method of switching and not unique to TCE. You are on a DIY forum....if it fails, fix it.

culturejam

Quote from: impycat1 on April 25, 2017, 04:02:29 PM
So what you are saying is the Foot switch on my Doubler is just a spring loaded cosmetic button screwed into the case which then prods a cheap internal switch when depressed and not an actual switch with contacts soldered internally.

I'm not sure I'd call it a rip-off. I'm sure somebody in the engineering dept ran some numbers and determined that long-term failure rate was lower with the spring-actuated switch.

Here's exactly how it's set up:

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

diablochris6

If it seriously bothers you, you can glue a little shoe to the end of the spring so when you stomp on the footswitch, a tiny foot hits the true footswitch.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

impycat1

This switch is a switch of death and is causing serious problems.

Maple Larynx

3PDT Switch ~ 20K to 50K electrical cycles
Tact Switch ~1M to 5M cycles
It seems like the goal was improved cycles, it needed better alignment keeper as previously noted.

EBRAddict

I'm sure cost had something to do with it besides MTBF. Those tac switches are literally a dime a dozen.

madbean

My TS10 has a similar kind of setup, except worse. I remember when my college band was in the studio (I was playing drums). The guitar player was using my TS10 and I literally had to push it on and off half a dozen times as quickly as possible while he played just to get the thing to turn on. I still need to fix that POS. It's probably worth something.

AwesomeTyler

Quote from: madbean on April 25, 2017, 04:13:42 PM
How is that ripping you off? It's just a different method of switching and not unique to TCE. You are on a DIY forum....if it fails, fix it.

So it looks safe to say a few of you might not be the best at completely reading a post before responding to it. My issue has nothing to do with the switch. The pedal is bricked all together.

madbean

Quote from: AwesomeTyler on April 26, 2017, 12:14:37 PM

So it looks safe to say a few of you might not be the best at completely reading a post before responding to it. My issue has nothing to do with the switch. The pedal is bricked all together.

I was responding to impycat1's post directly before mine. For your issue, don't know what to say. It's definitely disappointing they are not willing to repair. Maybe try PM'ing TOR on TGP...he's the TC Rep that posts there all the time. Perhaps he can offer some help?

culturejam

So it looks safe to say a few of you might not be the best at completely reading a post before responding to it.

Doctor, heal thyself.  ;)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Willybomb

QuoteMy TS10 has a similar kind of setup, except worse. I remember when my college band was in the studio (I was playing drums). The guitar player was using my TS10 and I literally had to push it on and off half a dozen times as quickly as possible while he played just to get the thing to turn on. I still need to fix that POS. It's probably worth something.

I got one of those in 93 for my brother, cost all of AUD$75.  Through a convoluted series of events I ended up with it years later.  Anyway, I lent it to the other guitarist in my band and never got it back after I left that band.  He had it up on ebay later on.  I messaged him and he said he would drop that and my crybaby off but I never saw him (he lived an hour or so away in another town).

Anyway, they go for over $150+ on ebay now...

AwesomeTyler

Quote from: madbean on April 26, 2017, 12:24:18 PM

I was responding to impycat1's post directly before mine. For your issue, don't know what to say. It's definitely disappointing they are not willing to repair. Maybe try PM'ing TOR on TGP...he's the TC Rep that posts there all the time. Perhaps he can offer some help?

Apologies, there's a litter of replies on the switching issue. Thanks for the heads up on the TC rep. Not sure it's worth it as I have literally no reputation on the site as of yet lol.

On the switch issue, it shouldn't be a hard fix. This being a DIY community, there's plenty of people here to help with that, if you're having problems getting it back in place.
And I would t consider the spring activated switches a 'ripoff' whatsoever. I was extremely curious about how they were able to make a switching system so incredibly seamless. Was happy to have that question answered once I found a small enough star-bit to pop the hood on it. If anything, I'd consider their switching systems a selling point, if it weren't for the issues commonly found in them.

drezdn

I like the TC Electronics Delay I have, but I haven't used it much because I won it in a contest and it's autographed by the dude from Aerosmith.

madbean

Quote from: AwesomeTyler on April 26, 2017, 07:05:26 PM
Apologies, there's a litter of replies on the switching issue. Thanks for the heads up on the TC rep. Not sure it's worth it as I have literally no reputation on the site as of yet lol.

Apology is totally not necessary. I wouldn't worry about having a rep on TGP, haha. I forget Tore's member name on there, though (it's not Tor...that's a different guy).

gordo

I'm kinda surprised by:

• how far off the rails this thread has gone
  • that Behringer isn't stepping up to the plate. They've spent a lot of time and money trying to get street cred after peddling a lot of crap. They bought into TC's reputation.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?