News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Laureate Oscillation at higher gain

Started by azrael, January 02, 2023, 12:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azrael

This is an issue madbean documents in the build doc, but I'm having trouble beating it.
At higher gain or bass settings the motorboating goes nuts. Lower gain settings seem fine. It works up to like 75-80% of the gain knob.

I tried toying with some cap values, increasing the decoupling on Vb to 220uF. No luck. Any tips?

madbean

I would double check your resistor values if you have motorboating. A wrong value in a couple key places could cause that (too much gain). Specifically, check R7-R9.

Maybe post a clear picture of the top of your board too so we can also double check your resistor values. There are other places downstream where a wrong value could produce that result, as well.

azrael

Quote from: madbean on January 02, 2023, 12:18:52 AM
I would double check your resistor values if you have motorboating. A wrong value in a couple key places could cause that (too much gain). Specifically, check R7-R9.

Maybe post a clear picture of the top of your board too so we can also double check your resistor values. There are other places downstream where a wrong value could produce that result, as well.
I took a quick look, and I think everything is in order? Maybe I'm missing something though.
Don't mind the paralleled resistors, I didn't have 43k on hand haha.
Overall though, I like this style of board. The connectors and bypass would be really easy for less experienced DIYers.

gordo

Resistors, polarity on diodes, and electros check out.  I can't see what's under the the parallel 510k and 4k7.  If you DMM those is that in the ballpark?  If that solder joint is the least bit fiddly it would throw off the resistance by a wide margin.  Also can ID the 12k underneath them.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?