News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Removing screen printing??

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, January 06, 2015, 12:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Does anyone know of a good way to remove screen printed lettering or graphics WITHOUT damaging the paint/powder underneath? I haven't tried anything yet for fear of damage and want to solicit experience before attempting.

Any advice (based on experience) is greatly appreciated  ;D

selfdestroyer

I just called my uncle and asked him since he screens on rice paper for surfboards and also makes shirts. He said he has taken off screen print ink with a "ink wash" chemical you can buy but... he also said it really depends on the ink that was used. Some inks can be more "permanent" than others.

Do you have an enclosure you can test on before hand?

Cody

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 06, 2015, 07:20:11 PM
I just called my uncle and asked him since he screens on rice paper for surfboards and also makes shirts. He said he has taken off screen print ink with a "ink wash" chemical you can buy but... he also said it really depends on the ink that was used. Some inks can be more "permanent" than others.

Do you have an enclosure you can test on before hand?

Cody

Unfortunately no...  :'(

I want to mod another XP pedal and instead of sanding off all of the paint, lettering, etc. I would like to just try to remove the printing on the treadle pedal. I DO want to leave the paint in tact though....

99% sure it is in fact paint and not powder too.

pricklyrobot

Acetone is the only thing I know of that will reliable take off solvent-based (if it's not printed on paper or wood, there's little chance of it being water based) screen ink. But, of course, acetone is likely to take the paint right along with it...