News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anyone ever used one of these?

Started by bigmufffuzzwizz, March 06, 2011, 06:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmufffuzzwizz

http://www.elexp.com/sdr_0849.htm

Seen this around before. Only 6 bucks and if it works efficently with one hand i say this is essential. Anyone used one before?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

irmcdermott

gtr2

They work good.  I don't know how that brand is but the regular rat shack one works ok.  You still will have to use some desoldering braid sometimes to get the solder out of the actual pcb hole on the fabbed boards.

josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: gtr2 on March 06, 2011, 06:59:47 PM
They work good.  I don't know how that brand is but the regular rat shack one works ok.  You still will have to use some desoldering braid sometimes to get the solder out of the actual pcb hole on the fabbed boards.

josh

i'm convinced! i'm just gonna go ahead and get one. seems useful enough.
I don't mind using the pumps as it isn't that hard and the one i have doesn't give me too much trouble(can't say the same about other ones i've used..grrr).
I've also come to terms with using the wick despite much frustration in the beginning. The trick is to put flux on the joint first and either have a little solder on the iron or apply a little bit to the wick to get the heat transfer going and it will start sucking it up! With this method i never have to apply to much pressure thus not being so worried about melting the board.

jkokura

Thats good trick I've suggested before. Getting a bottle of liquid flux was one of the beat investments ive made.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: jkokura on March 06, 2011, 08:28:44 PM
Thats good trick I've suggested before. Getting a bottle of liquid flux was one of the beat investments ive made.

Jacob

couldn't agree more. i bought a small bottle for about $4 bucks but i can't find it on here anymore. But heres the more than you'll need for a lifetime bottle!!  ;D

http://www.elexp.com/che_5835.htm

cjkbug

do yourself a favor and practice with it a little before using it
"for real" take it from me...it is surprizingly easy to blow tons of molten solder all over your project or fingers
I got blisters on my fingers!!!