News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anybody made any synths

Started by matmosphere, November 21, 2016, 03:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

I want to build a small mono synth for my kids to play with. I'm not looking for sure. High fidelity I'd prefer circuits that are simple and inexpensive so they could maybe help me with the building. I'm thinking I'll probably mod it a bit to make it as kid friendly as possible.

I'm already considering the Atari punk sequencer, and some kind to optical therimin, or regular theremin, but I'm up for ideas.

thesmokingman

once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Leevibe

I think alanp and peAk are your guys.

alanp

Either Atari, or one of MusicFromOuterSpace's Weird Sound Generators. A few websites are now carrying Ray's projects (RIP).
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

raulduke

Atari Punk Console would be a good bet.

Easy to build and is a fun noise toy. You could replace some of the controls/components with LDR's etc. to make things even weirder (it's a popular project so there are a lot of mods out there on the web).

If your looking at building a full mono synth, I'd strongly advise going down the Eurorack route, as you can build it in stages, and could easily interface with other modules.

EBRAddict

I've started a project on a STM32 microcontroller. I'm still working on a MIDI library. I may switch over to a Teensy microcontroller because it supports the Arduino framework and there are more libraries there than anywhere.

bcalla

Quote from: alanp on November 21, 2016, 05:41:22 AM
Either Atari, or one of MusicFromOuterSpace's Weird Sound Generators. A few websites are now carrying Ray's projects (RIP).
I've been checking the MFOS site every few weeks for months and everything was listed as out of stock.  I just noticed that they are accepting orders again.

peAk

I am currently building a Jasper which is a Wasp clone. Simple monosynth that's pretty cheap overall.

Best BOM, build docs, etc. I have ever used.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157937

peAk

matmosphere

Thanks everyone. I'll probably start with the Atari punk thing and go from there.

Peak, the jasper looks great, thanks for sharing. I'll have to check out the documentation and see if it's something I could tackle. Looks quiet affordable for just how versatile it is. Can it accept different inputs, like a more traditional keyboard by chance?

cloudscapes

I've done the APC, the WSG, and various other cmos style droners (simple lunettas). A couple eurorack modules too, a sequencer, ringmod and an inaccurate oscillator.

definitely check out the weird sound generator!
http://musicfromouterspace.com/index.php?MAINTAB=SYNTHDIY&VPW=1025&VPH=709
under lofi noise boxes

peAk

Quote from: Matmosphere on November 22, 2016, 04:55:30 AM
Thanks everyone. I'll probably start with the Atari punk thing and go from there.

Peak, the jasper looks great, thanks for sharing. I'll have to check out the documentation and see if it's something I could tackle. Looks quiet affordable for just how versatile it is. Can it accept different inputs, like a more traditional keyboard by chance?

Yes, if you skim the DIY section at the same site, you will find some other guys that did a midi add-on interface pcb assy that you can purchase. Also, there is another guy doing wooden cases if you wanted to go all out. I definitely recommend the midi interface though, it's what I am doing.

Jason really laid out the build docs and the BOM with hotlinks to each part so you almost can't fail at this build. 99% of it is board mounted so that also makes it an easy build.

Good luck whatever you choose!

raulduke

Also, not DIY, but loads of fun are the Korg Volca range.

I'm really tempted by the new FM synth (have the drum machine already).

Knobs, as per usual, has given me serious GAS:

Strategy

This year we lost Ray Wilson of Music From Outer Space, but happily Synthcube has bought out the business and is offering MFOS designs and continuing the legac. Weird Sound Generator was one of the first non pedal projects I built, is easy and IMO very kid friendly. Check out Synthcube for those they have a special MFOS section, though i don't know if all the projects are fully posted yet.

peAk

Quote from: raulduke on November 23, 2016, 04:05:12 PM
Also, not DIY, but loads of fun are the Korg Volca range.

I'm really tempted by the new FM synth (have the drum machine already).

Knobs, as per usual, has given me serious GAS:

Hey raulduke,

I thought about getting that volca FM but was able to get a Yamaha TX7 for even cheaper and I think it sounds better. Plenty of online editors too.

Just food for thought.