News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Oranjello Phi 45 smoothie

Started by Rip57, March 15, 2013, 01:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rip57

Here's my contribution to Phase Month, Oranjello Phi 45. I love the look of those old script MXR boxes so that's the style I was going for with Oranjello. It's a smoothie built into a 1590B. I don't have the manual dexterity, much less the eyesight, to do this in a 1590A. I put a guitar pick over the PCB in one of the photos just to get some size comparison. Those baby boards are small!

This is my first time using a waterslide decal. Botched the first one (too much ink and smeared it) but was able to recover. Also it started off glossy but that just emphasized every imperfection so I went over it all with satin clear coat and it calmed things down pretty nicely.

It doesn't sound super-phasery, more subdued-phasery. Gotta do a Phase 90 soon so I can compare.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer." ― Frank Zappa

pickdropper

That's classy looking.  Nice job.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

I really dig that finish,I've been thinking about doing the same thing.im coming to learn that that a phase 45 has its place for subtlety .i kind of regret selling mine now,but it didn't work for bass.i did a demo of the 90 just yesterday in the build reports of one I just finished if you want to hear the difference.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Stomptown

Quote from: jimilee on March 15, 2013, 02:36:53 AM
I really dig that finish,I've been thinking about doing the same thing.im coming to learn that that a phase 45 has its place for subtlety .i kind of regret selling mine now,but it didn't work for bass.i did a demo of the 90 just yesterday in the build reports of one I just finished if you want to hear the difference.

I love how subtle the smoothie is for the guitar. I don't play EVH stuff and the only time I use it is on a few lynyrd skynyrd tunes in my cover band. When I play with my original band I try to keep it simple for the most part so the smoothy is also the better choice... I did recently pull out the fet's of mine and replace them with a pair that I took the time to match and it is definitely more phasery but still subtley.  ;)

jimilee

Quote from: Stomptown on March 15, 2013, 03:43:08 AM

I love how subtle the smoothie is for the guitar. I don't play EVH stuff and the only time I use it is on a few lynyrd skynyrd tunes in my cover band. When I play with my original band I try to keep it simple for the most part so the smoothy is also the better choice... I did recently pull out the fet's of mine and replace them with a pair that I took the time to match and it is definitely more phasery but still subtley.  ;)
Yep,when I play my guitar I always look for that subtle setting in my 90's and it ain't there.dammit! Now I'm going to have to build another 45. I can't hang with the tiny boards though theys too small,as we say here in tn.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Stomptown

Quote from: jimilee on March 15, 2013, 04:33:11 AM
Quote from: Stomptown on March 15, 2013, 03:43:08 AM

Yep,when I play my guitar I always look for that subtle setting in my 90's and it ain't there.dammit! Now I'm going to have to build another 45. I can't hang with the tiny boards though theys too small,as we say here in tn.
come to think of it, a depth mod on the phase 90 also might be a good solution...

jimilee

fish22

Really classy. graphics look great!
Hi, my name is Wyatt.

G.G.

I love the script look too, nice job. Rows of standing resistors can look pretty great too, I like it!

Rip57

Thanks guys. I recently moved an old Marshall tube amp down to the basement from upstairs and I was plugged in through the phaser digging on the fact that, despite being a incredibly lame guitar player, I can still get these cool sounds when... pop goes a power fuse.

On the one hand I'm hoping its just because I didn't let it warm up long enough in a cold basement and that I can just replace the fuse and will be good. On the other hand, I'm kind of looking forward to tearing into the Marshall again.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer." ― Frank Zappa

jimijam

the satin finish works nicely. the mxr's were never glossy anyhow. what font did you use? it's right on the money to my eyes
tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!

Rip57

The font is called Exmouth. You can find it over at urbanfonts.com under Free Fonts -> Calligraphy. I just went hunting for it one day and got lucky.

Stomptown

Quote from: Rip57 on March 16, 2013, 12:16:24 AM
The font is called Exmouth. You can find it over at urbanfonts.com under Free Fonts -> Calligraphy. I just went hunting for it one day and got lucky.

Kunstler Script also looks like the script logo font and I think it is one of the fonts that come standard on a PC.

atreidesheir

Now you have to build the Lemonjello.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

Rip57

> Lemonjello

Atta boy. Finally.