News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

60 Minutes interview with Mark Owen

Started by jubal81, September 10, 2012, 04:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

He's the Seal Team Six member who wrote the new book "No Easy Day" about the bin Laden raid. One of our senior reporters co-authored it with him, so we've been pretty excited about it. And no, he won't give up any juicy secrets no matter how much I bug him. Well, there is that whole pissed-off Pentagon thing over it, so there's plenty of jokes about us sending care packages to him in Leavenworth.

Here's a link to the full show with the interviews
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

nzCdog

Fascinating IV and great story... thanks for posting!

Hey so what do you do then, Jubal?  I used to shoot News and Current affairs in New Zealand, we had a period of partnership with 60 minutes about a decade ago, more recently we did our own shows and 20/20. 

timbo_93631

Off topic I know, but whenever I see your posts I think Jubal Harshaw!  When I was a teenager I thought "Stranger in a Strange Land" was awesome and Jubal Harshaw was my hero. 

The book you mentioned above is getting quite the buzz from the national media...
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

jubal81

I'm an editor at a daily newspaper in NC. The author, Kevin Maurer, wrote another book about his time embedded with troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. He worked for the AP out of our office before joining our staff.
New Zealand is at the top of my list for dream destinations. What about you? Are you still in journalism?

And Timbo, yep, you guessed it. Jubal Harshaw has been my hero since I read it in college. It's been my internet handle ever since.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

culturejam

Quote from: jubal81 on September 10, 2012, 08:40:00 PM
I'm an editor at a daily newspaper in NC.

I was editor (in chief) of a very small newspaper in NYC for a couple years. Good times.  :)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pryde

I watched the episode and also just finished the book. I thought it was a good read and gives a good perspective of a "day in the life" of a SEAL. I don't think there is anyway the book could be used for any sort of terrorist intel but what do I know  ???

As I watched the interview I could not pin why "Mark" looked so weird until they disclosed his appearance was altered by make-up artists.

nzCdog

What about you? Are you still in journalism? New Zealand is at the top of my list for dream destinations.
No... 11 years at TVNZ and now I'm a full time student again... studying electronics of all things! :o
I sure miss my colleagues, the perks, travel,  interesting people etc... I haven't handle a video camera since I left either which feels pretty weird... but tbh having a less 'exciting' life is quite underrated.  I needed this change, hoping to get a job next year as a tech somewhere, and continue learning part time :)

New Zealand is at the top of my list for dream destinations.
Dude you gotta come to New Zealand, if you make it to Christchurch be sure to look me up I'll buy you a coffee ;)  That goes for any other madbeaners as well!  The South is beautiful in dramatic a LOTR kinda way, the North is lovely and green, also a tad warmer.  ♥'s NZ!

Quote from: culturejam on September 10, 2012, 10:00:48 PM
I was editor (in chief) of a very small newspaper in NYC for a couple years. Good times.  :)
I always find it interesting to discover when someone else work(ed) in the media. Don't know about you guys, but it certainly shaped my life perspectives in a unique way.  It still feels kinda weird watching 'our' bulletins but not being part of the team anymore.  What do you do now CJ?

timbo_93631

In the 3 months I lived in NZ I never made it to the South Island.  I have a good reason to go back!
I guess I fell right into daily life with the family I was staying with.  They are older and have six adult children who, except for one, are married with kids and I got to vist with all of them and stay in various places on the North Island.  Home base was the family's organic dairy in Matamata, I was milking cows pretty often and bringing them in and out from pasture.  By far my favorite area was up the on the Coromandel peninsula, wild country up there.  Really good times walking in the woods and catching Kahawai off the rocks and cooking them up straight away.  I remember my last day in NZ driving down the Coromandel peninsula around Hauraki gulf to the airport in Auckland thinking that I'd not get back on the plane and just be an illegal immigrant in NZ.  Was a wonderful time.  There was one little tiny town I really loved, Taupiri just north of Hamilton, there is a Maori graveyard on the hill looking over the river there with a little mountian on the other side I can still see it clearly in my mind. 
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

nzCdog

Definitely a good reason to get back here some time timbo 8)

culturejam

Quote from: nzCdog on September 11, 2012, 04:30:29 AM
What do you do now CJ?

Now I'm a tech writer for a software developer. But I don't actually work directly on product documentation; I do mostly sales support. So I help the sales guys write proposals, presentations, business letters, etc. And my team manages the company's responses to formal RFPs from existing or potential clients.

Before the newspaper gig, I worked as a technical editor for a trade journal, then as an low-level editor for a retail industry trade news magazine. Then after the paper, I was managing editor of a medical journal. And now I'm here. :)

Oh, and in college I was copydesk chief of the university student newspaper.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects