News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A klon just sold for 3500!

Started by jjjimi84, June 04, 2021, 07:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjjimi84

Daves guitar just sold a silver klon for 3,500 and a nkt275 analogman fuzzface for 800!

There must be some real magic beans in those boxes!

What do you guys think? Is it worth the price, if you had the cash?

matmosphere

Quote from: jjjimi84 on June 04, 2021, 07:49:41 PM
Daves guitar just sold a silver klon for 3,500 and a nkt275 analogman fuzzface for 800!

There must be some real magic beans in those boxes!

What do you guys think? Is it worth the price, if you had the cash?

No!

harryklippton

No. I have an nkt red dot sunface that I keep being tempted to sell but once it's gone, it's gone

dawson

Magic beans shouldn't cost more than a malnourished cow.

As a clone person, I don't ever see myself buying a circuit that I can easily build unless it's some cool garage sale find.
That being said, a few circuits I bought before I knew about cloning have appreciated substantially in "value" and I'm not at all willing to part with them.  They're mine.

I sort-of get the "collecting" or "investing" arguments but personally I've never understood the math behind monetizing ones' own history, nostalgia or lore.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

Bio77

For the tone? Of course not.  But for collectors, maybe.  I'd guess a lot of the guys paying these prices were baseball card collectors as kids ;D

gordo

Even if I was rich enough to pay $3500 for a Klon my playing would still be mediocre.  But I'd have more money than brains so yeah...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

vizcities

For that price, I'd buy instruments, amps, and/or recording equipment. No pedal circuit is even sort of worth that much money - especially if you have DIY chops.

Feral Feline

I need to buy time, I've got too many projects in the build queue — inkluding klones.

Thewintersoldier

I would never pay those prices. I would sell at those prices though. Before I understood how q pedal worked I could understand being swept up in the exclusivity and the snake oil. But it's just components. I can understand the investment aspect but something is only worth what someone is willing to pay.
Who the hell is Bucky?

jjjimi84

I check Daves everyday because I am on the hunt for a certain guitar, a guitar I am hesitant to even buy because I am not a two thousand dollar guitar player and then I saw that someone actually paid 3500 for a pedal it blew my mind.

They must be one helluva a great guitar player or one heck of a great lawyer.

jimilee

If I were a collector on that level, that's one of the first ones I'd get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

EBK

I recently converted all of my pedals to NFTs and sold them for millions!  What are you guys waiting for?
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

lars

I guess people pay that kind of money because of how conspicuous the tone of a Klon pedal is on recordings. You can hear it immediately on...um, that one guy, and that riff on, um...yeah. I'm sure it was used on....um...well I heard so-and-so made a record that was big in Japan with one.
Ridiculous.
Give me a vintage Blue/Orange Superfuzz everyday over that doorstop. In fact, at that price, I'll take three!

GermanCdn

From the practical standpoint, you could build yourself a fairly decent complete rig for 3500, so it's hard to wrap your head around that kind of number for a three knob pedal with $30 of components in it, especially if you've built one (dozen).  I don't know that in my heyday of gear buying I would spend 3500 on any one thing, it would have to have been a Private Stock build for that kind of money.  That, and I'd actually have to commit to playing again if I blew mortgage money on a pedal.

From a collectors point of view if money were no issue, sure, why not. 
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Zerro

If you want to consider Clon and NKT275 Fuzz face prices, see those schematics of classic Clon and enhancements and others. Consider details inside and you will see alone.
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"