News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lucky 7 (Boss GE-7)

Started by Thewintersoldier, May 17, 2023, 03:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

Guten tag fräulein, it's time for a new project. What's that? Is that a GE-7 graphic EQ with center detent pots in a 125B? Jawol 😤

I talked to David sometime in 2022 about making a legit GE-7 with sliders. The sliders became something of a hindrance as they were hard to source at the time, made the build more complicated and also required a larger enclosure. Recently he revisited the idea and decided to make it in a 125B and using 9mm pots. He sent me a board to verify and test out. So I fired up my iron and got to work. This is a faithful recreation of the classic circuit with two exceptions. The first is the change to pots vs sliders for obvious reasons. The second change is the output buffer from transistor based to opamp.

How's it sound? Like an EQ pedal dawg. It's much quieter than a stock Boss pedal due to the baked in use of film caps in the audio path, all metal film resistors and better quality opamps. At its heart it's a utility pedal but has an endless array of uses as a tone shaper and even an OD. The center detent pots make it easy to use and know where unity gain is on any given band. In the build doc I also gave him the values for the GE-7B spec for the bass players ( of which I will be building one for my bass board soon). Of course with math the values can be calculated for custom band frequencies.

The build was smooth and the pots I got from Stompboxparts. I also used some 12.7mm aluminum knobs because the look dope AF and give room between the pots. I went with a gray tayda enclosure and UV print. I went with Domino 🥵🥵🥵 and the lucky 7/dice old school tattoo theme. No demo/sound clip because it's kinda hard to show something like an EQ without a long boring knob turning video. If you want a better sounding GE-7 in a compact form then build one, or a bass version, or don't 🤷😂.

Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Knocked it out of the park with this one, as always. I noticed neither of your jacks are grounded. Was that fixed later or what happened there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

Hell yeah, dawg!

I've been thinking about an (O)GE-7, because I'm a mistress of the night for sliders, too. I'm liking this, though.

Also tight as ever, build wise, and that switch wiring is just damn perfect.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jimilee on May 17, 2023, 04:25:29 PM
Knocked it out of the park with this one, as always. I noticed neither of your jacks are grounded. Was that fixed later or what happened there?

Input jack is grounded Jimi, look again 😂 I keep wiring as clean and minimal as possible.

Quote from: jessenator on May 17, 2023, 04:47:17 PM
Hell yeah, dawg!

I've been thinking about an (O)GE-7, because I'm a mistress of the night for sliders, too. I'm liking this, though.

Also tight as ever, build wise, and that switch wiring is just damn perfect.

Thanks, wiring is my favorite part of the build, a true lost art form. I would love sliders but it would make for a bigger more expensive build and ain't nothing wrong with this layout.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bio77

jimilee

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on May 17, 2023, 06:07:04 PM

Input jack is grounded Jimi, look again I keep wiring as clean and minimal as possible.

Dude, minimal is an understatement! Nice job. I can see the solder but I can't see the wire.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jimilee on May 17, 2023, 09:46:36 PM
Quote from: Thewintersoldier on May 17, 2023, 06:07:04 PM

Input jack is grounded Jimi, look again I keep wiring as clean and minimal as possible.

Dude, minimal is an understatement! Nice job. I can see the solder but I can't see the wire.

That's been the plan all along, to get to the point that people think there is no wires lol
Who the hell is Bucky?

WonkoTheSane

Love the simple yet great graphics on this one. Super clean as usual, awesome.

Where do your source your jacks?
That which burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

jimilee

I use those same jacks, mine are from Tayda.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: WonkoTheSane on May 18, 2023, 01:42:55 AM
Love the simple yet great graphics on this one. Super clean as usual, awesome.

Where do your source your jacks?

I generally get them from stompboxparts but have used tayda if I was ordering and needed them.
Who the hell is Bucky?