News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Trimpots for madbean PCB's.

Started by Loztboy, August 22, 2011, 09:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loztboy

What type of trimpot fits the madbean PCBs?
Does SmallBear cary the right type?

I have ordered some from different shops but none of them fit. :(

nzCdog

What project?  I got some from tayda they were really small.  Effects connection ones were bigger, I just bent the leads to where I wanted them

jkokura

Depends on the build.

Most builds call for 3/8" Trimpots which are the Cermet variety found at smallbear. Some may call for a 1/4" Trimpot which is slightly smaller than the Cermet variety.

Which build your attempting might help us give you a more definitive answer.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

I use these for all madbean builds.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/servlet/the-Potentiometer--fdsh--Variable-Resistors-cln-Cermet-Potentiometers-cln-3362P/Categories

Sometimes I've got to get them at mouser if tayda doesn't have the value I need.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

oldhousescott

Yeah, looks like the 3362P will work in just about all of them.

madbean

3362 are the perfect size trimpots. 6mm types from smallbear fit, too. But, I do prefer the former. You can also get the 3362 that has a tiny shaft on it for adjustment, rather than using a small screwdriver.

Loztboy

Thanks!
Sorry for not letting you know what boards I was asking about, I thought they all used the same sized trimpots :)
I need trimpots for ChunkChunk, FatPants and King Of Klones.
Guess I'm going to place an order at Tayda soon.

bigmufffuzzwizz

I use these, they are the same thing basically. They have fit pretty much perfect on everything so far.
At 6 cents a pop, I just order a handful of them  :)
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/servlet/the-Potentiometer--fdsh--Variable-Resistors-cln-Trimmers-cln-6mm-Top-Adjustment/Categories
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

gtr2

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on September 02, 2011, 11:31:52 PM
I use these, they are the same thing basically. They have fit pretty much perfect on everything so far.
At 6 cents a pop, I just order a handful of them  :)
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/servlet/the-Potentiometer--fdsh--Variable-Resistors-cln-Trimmers-cln-6mm-Top-Adjustment/Categories

I've found these to vary greatly in there tolerance compared to the 3362's they sell.  Even though the 3362's are %10 they are always really close to the spec'd value.  All the 6cent 6mm's I bought were pretty far off, maxing out the %20 tolerance spec.  I've found this with their ceramic caps as well.  They are all really close to being "out of spec".  As a comparison I've also checked same value ceramics from mouser and they were much closer to the listed value even with the same tolerance % as taydas.  The resistors from tayda are always pretty much spot on.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bigmufffuzzwizz

That's something I haven't paid attention to yet, that I will start now..thanks.  :P
That can make a crucial difference and I agree in that circumstance its worth the extra 10 cents. I'll have to try using some of the cemet 3362's. I ordered a bunch of ceramic caps and they were pretty far away from the value they were supposed to be. The 100nf ceramics almost all read about 80nf-85nf which is 20% tolerance. Since it was for a muff I'm not worried but another circuit that could affect something. I too have not had any problems with their resistors being off either.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals