News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking working but no bypass sound

Started by Jamiroking, September 05, 2011, 10:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamiroking

I just finished wiring up my sunking with a buffer/true bypass toggle switch mod I'm trying out. It's my first time doing any sort of mod to the design and I'm having some problems. The effect works and sounds pretty good but I'm not getting any bypass signal, buffered or true bypass.

My Mod:
So the toggle works by running the input tip to the SPDT. In buffered mode, thie SPDT wires to the board input as usual. with everything else being as in the diagram. In True bypass mode, the SPDT runs to the center lug of the empty column on the 3PDT footswitch. When the footswitch is engaged, the bottom lug sends the signal to the board to run as normal. When disengaged, the top lug sends the signal straight to the output tip.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The effect works in both toggle positions and the LED as well just as planned but as soon as I disengage the footswitch, I have no sound, no matter which position the toggle is in. I couldn't find any solder bridges or shorts and the fact that its only the bypass signal is really confusing me. The only thing I can think of is that the output tip might not be acting right since I have three wires all wiring there. Here's a pic of my PCB if that helps you guys. (btw I did have to trim down some of the excess size of the PCB to get it to fit in the enclosure)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

chip46

I haven't built my Sunking yet, but if it were me the first thing I would try would be removing the true bypass/buffer switch you added. Wire the switch up the stock way with the buffer and see what you get. If the pedal works as it should then you know it's a problem with your toggle switch wiring, if it still doesn't work then you know it's something else.

Jamiroking

Update, I unwired the bypass switch and still no bypass signal. This makes me think we can probably treat it as a malfunctioning stock board. So maybe I have a short to ground in the buggered path and th true bypassed signal is going backward from the output tip and spring as well? Does this sound possible?

jkokura

Probably. It sounds to me like you need to get out an audio probe...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Jamiroking

I dont have an audio probe unfortunately....

However, I did find a bridge to ground and now I have bypassed signal!.

I have a new problem though, which is probably just an issue with the mod.

The buffered bypass signal sounds good but my true bypass version is muuuuuch quieter. I have a feeling this is just a sign that something about the mod switch doesnt work.

UPDATE:

So it appears the problem with my mod was having the true bypass signal, the out from the board, and the wire from the switch all wired to the output jack. To fix it, I tried swapping out the SPDT with a DPDT toggle and on the second pole, I wired the center to the output pad above the vol (yellow in the diagram). When in buffered mode, it connects to lug C1 as normal but then when in true bypass, I left it disconnected.

I'm not sure if this changes the circuit when the pedal is engaged in TB mode but it sounds pretty similar to me. I can really hear the difference between the buffer and TB signal too. Now I see why people love the buffer so much. Still glad I put the switch in there though, just to have the option to turn it off :)

jkokura

Glad it's working. I thought it would be wiring.

jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals