News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

sweepable mid peak?

Started by G.G., April 22, 2014, 10:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.G.

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a little sweepable mid peak circuit to add on either before or after a fuzz build I'm doing. I'm not really interested in a full range Baxandall because I only have space for one knob, and I'm pretty sure just a mid peak would do what I want. I tried out the Idiot Wah but couldn't get it working (guess that makes me the idiot :-/ ). Any other suggestions?

thanks!
Gray

GermanCdn

Are you looking for a large range sweep, or a boost over a set frequency.  I've been toying with a single band mid boost in an overdrive design I've been working, and it's essentially got a single band off of an MXR eq design (see Josh's Six Shooter for the idea) in a boost cut.  Still playing with the value to get the right frequency, but if you build it somewhere between 800 Hz and 1.2 kHz and it will change the character of the pedal quite a bit.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

G.G.

it wouldn't need to have a wide range, I don't think, or any range at all if I can find the right frequency. I'm thinking sort of a fixed-wah flavor that ideally I could turn on or off with a switch, or if there's something sweepable I could use a push/pull pot.

midwayfair

Fixed wah is exactly what you want. Use the Colorsound Wah circuit (it's super tiny), and a regular pot instead of the treadle. I've been thinking of making a perf layout because it would be fun to add to a dirt circuit.

Scruffie

It sounds like you want a gyrator to me.
Works at Lectric-FX

blearyeyes

http://beavisaudio.com/Projects/ColorsoundWah/index.htm

check this out..

If you look at the finished schematic, down a bit, you could take all the LFO /  Vactrol out and replace it with a pot, keep the rest. 

G.G.

Cheers guys! I'll give the Colorsound Wah a shot, I remembered there is a layout over at Tagboard.
Thanks!

RobA

I'd second the gyrator based circuit. You could do the frequency setting as a trim pot and then the level would let you set either the level of boost or cut. That way you wouldn't need a switch, just setting it to the center of the level would make it flat.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Thomas_H

I am currently doing a custom build for bass player that needs a peak as well.
I did a 1-band parametric eq that fits a 1590a. Frequency and bandwidth are set internally via trimpots. External pot controls boost/attenuation of the preset frequency range.
But its 3 weeks to the final board.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

raulduke

I have some Tonmeister 2 PCB's on their way from OSH park.

The new design features semi-parametric middle band eq (variable gain and frequency).

Might be a little overkill for what you are after though.

As suggested, the coloursound inductorless wah circuit may do what you need with few parts required.

kothoma

G.G.

thanks again guys, very helpful suggestions. Thomas & Steve, those both sound interesting even if I didn't end up using them for this so please keep me updated, if you don't mind.

raulduke

No problem will do.

The Tonmeister 2 has been on the backburner for a Llllooonnnng time.

Bout time I got my arse in gear and got it verified  ;)!

DutchMF

Quote from: raulduke on April 23, 2014, 01:12:53 PM
I have some Tonmeister 2 PCB's on their way from OSH park.

Want!!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"