News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hello Larry!

Started by danfrank, December 09, 2020, 10:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfrank

This is for the Dead End FX Larry flanger, a clone of the old Mutron pedal flanger. Basically, it's a flanger built into an expression pedal. For this clone, it uses a Morley volume or wah pedal as
the enclosure.
This flanger has a traditional LFO that sweeps up and down or with a footswitch can change over to the footpedal to control the sweep. This flanger has a very wide sweep, not quite as wide as the old A/DA flanger, but still quite wide for a flanger. I set mine from 35kHz to 750khz. If using the pedal to control the sweep, it sweeps from 35kHz to 950kHz.

danfrank

gordo

That's awesome, I love that flanger.  I can vividly remember trying one when it was new.  Then I saw the price...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

danfrank

Have you seen what the originals go for on Reverb? Now, that's crazy!
This isn't a cheap build but not nearly the price of the original Mutron.

cooder

Epic! And the pcb is huge and fitting nicely into the box.
Looks like a fab project and amazing pedal!
BigNoise Amplification

gordo

That's what I mean...the original price was pretty steep and like a fine wine have gone thru the roof as they've aged 40 years.  No worse than the A/DA though.  I couldn't afford that at the time either.  I ended up setting on a Boss BF-2 back in the day and still think it's pretty cool.

Pretty much anything Mutron did was top shelf and priced accordingly.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Invertiguy

Nice work, that thing is awesome! I'm glad someone finally built one of these, I've been curious about it ever since I saw it pop up on their projects page but not enough to justify hunting down a Morley to gut for it. Might take a stab at it in the future if one happens to fall into my lap, but for now I'm perfectly content to live vicariously through your super-clean build. Any chance we can get a demo?
Doomsday Devices

Thewintersoldier

very cool, I've never heard one of these. What does it sound like? Anything it's similar too? Very awesome build!
Who the hell is Bucky?

danfrank

Quote from: Invertiguy on December 10, 2020, 07:34:51 AM
Nice work, that thing is awesome! I'm glad someone finally built one of these, I've been curious about it ever since I saw it pop up on their projects page but not enough to justify hunting down a Morley to gut for it. Might take a stab at it in the future if one happens to fall into my lap, but for now I'm perfectly content to live vicariously through your super-clean build. Any chance we can get a demo?

Old Morley's are plentiful, just have to be patient for a good deal. I think there's a broken one on Reverb now for $20 plus shipping (no affiliation). It my be a while before I have a chance to demo it, nobody wants to meet up at the moment because of COVID. Maybe I can figure something else out for a demo.
The Calibration instructions, I found a bit off as to what the trimmers do but I sent the DEFX guy my observations as to what worked for me to get it adjusted.

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on December 10, 2020, 03:35:59 PM
very cool, I've never heard one of these. What does it sound like? Anything it's similar too? Very awesome build!

It's a nice sounding flanger, has like a 27 to 1 sweep, which is nice. A unique thing about this particular flanger is that it incorporates a compander which I think serves a two fold purpose. First, it handles noise reduction duties. Second, I'm pretty sure it also compensates for BBD insertion loss as clock frequency gets faster.  Hopefully, Scruffie can chime in here...
I've noticed that when the MN3007 clock frequency gets up above 300-400kHz, the output level of the BBD gets smaller. Because of this, the upper sweeps of these flangers tend to get kind of weak sounding, or at least this is one of the reasons for it. That is the one shortcoming of the old A/DA flanger... I need to learn how to etch my own boards because I'd love to add a compander to the old A/DA design.

The "start" and "stop" knobs are unique, they set the width of the sweep. They also determine whether the pedal is doing positive flange or negative flange. This is determined by which of the two knobs is "turned up" more. If both knobs are in the same position, then there is no sweep and it acts as a filter
Another unique feature is that the LFO starts its sweep when you engage the pedal from bypass mode. This is really neat because you can engage the pedal, and time the position of the sweep to correspond with what's being played.

LaceSensor

reminds me I need to build mine! I have the PCB and an old Morley volume pedal
Maybe a Xmas build :)

great job on yours, looks smashing

Bret608

Really cool to see one of these built up! It does seem unique and I will have to seek out a clip again.

Bio77

Awesome build! Gives me the FOMO  ;D

destro

Quote from: danfrank on December 10, 2020, 05:31:12 PM
I need to learn how to etch my own boards because I'd love to add a compander to the old A/DA design.

...that would be cool. If you could make it do that barber pole thing, too, you'd be my hero! Watched your thread on the heterodyning issue and am looking forward to giving the findings of it a spin on the dfx ada pcb board I am testing out. All that aside, fabulous job on the Larry. Dino is a great guy and always appreciates feedback on builds.