News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fry's Electronics Toast?

Started by lars, November 06, 2019, 05:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

I recently went into a Fry's Electronics in my area. I hadn't been in there in over a year, and I was shocked. There was basically nothing in the store! Empty shelves, racks, aisles. I couldn't believe they were even open. I've seen stores with "going out of business" signs all over that had more items for sale. At this point, it seems like they're open just as some kind of sick joke. It would be a great movie set for some kind of after-the-apocalypse scene...you wouldn't even have to ask them to close because there aren't any customers or employees to get in the way of the shots!

somnif

The Frys up near my parents is still running, though it is nowhere near full these days. Lots of "as seen on TV" junk filling shelves, the music and movie sections reduced to almost nothing, a lot of the DIY stuff disappearing, etc.

But they have a LOT of floor space devoted to home appliances and home entertainment system stuff, so maybe that is their bread and butter these days.

pickdropper

I went to the one by me about a month ago and the shelves are largely empty.  Rumor has it that Fry's is on credit hold from many of their suppliers.  The situation is supposedly temporary, but that seems unlikely. 

It's too bad.  I used to enjoy running the racks there with my Dad.  As stupid as that sounds, we used to make a Fry's run and then go out for dinner.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

lars

Quote from: pickdropper on November 06, 2019, 12:36:12 PM
It's too bad.  I used to enjoy running the racks there with my Dad.  As stupid as that sounds, we used to make a Fry's run and then go out for dinner.
That doesn't sound stupid at all. For anybody interested in electronics, Fry's was always the best, most fun store to go to. I remember the first time I went into one, I was overwhelmed by the size of the store and the quantity of items. It was the electronics version of Costco or Ikea. They even had good smoothies and coffee at the little cafe in the middle.
Now it's depressing to go in. All they have are Cat5 cables and $3,000 refrigerators. Not a sustainable business model. Maybe they should think of converting over to indoor Kart racing? They definitely have the space.