News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Serendipity Drive knob weirdness

Started by claytushaywood, May 20, 2012, 08:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

My first serendipity build got hijacked by a friend who borrowed  it and refused to return with anything but cash.  ridiculous.  So I built another one.  I dont remember this happening with the first one, but if I turn the drive all the way down I lose a lot of volume.  When I notch it up just a tiny bit- like to 1 I get a ton more volume and normal taper begins again,

I dont remember this with the first one I built, is this normal or should out my build?  I feel like this one sounds a bit different and I'm not loving it as much as the first one I built unfortunately.  I did change the speaker in my amp so that's probably it, but it seems like more than that for some reason

So is this how your zen drive acts?  Try turning up the volume all the way with the gain all the way down?  is it quiet until you bump up the gain a bit?  I love cranking the gain on the zen drive because its so good sounding, but I wanted to try using it in conjunction with some other od pedals and see how that worked out!

madbean

There is a 1k resistor in the layout that goes between lugs 3&2. This sets the minimum gain when the Drive knob is down. You can fix the issue you are describing by increasing that value. I suggest 10k or so. Higher values are okay, too.

claytushaywood

Quote from: madbean on May 20, 2012, 09:59:17 PM
There is a 1k resistor in the layout that goes between lugs 3&2. This sets the minimum gain when the Drive knob is down. You can fix the issue you are describing by increasing that value. I suggest 10k or so. Higher values are okay, too.

so this would in effect just give me the amount of gain I have on drive level 1 at drive level 0?  Would this also increase the amount of maximum gain I can get out of the pedal?

madbean

It does not increase the maximum gain in a significant way but it will increase the minimum in a noticeable way.