News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Taming the Volume - Aristocrat

Started by JammyDodger, January 18, 2011, 07:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JammyDodger

Hey All,

Just completed the Aristocrat V4.  Works great, sounds great no issues there.  My question is.... how can I tame the volume control.  For example, if the range of the control is from 8 o'clock to 4 o'clock, by the time it reaches 9 it is at unity volume compared to bypassed.  It has an incredible amount of volume which I just don't need.  I would like 12 o'clock to be my even point with lower being a cut and above being gain.  Is there a way to do this?

As always... thanks for everyone's help, this is a great forum.

Cheers, Mike
The Jammy Dodger

JammyDodger

Well, for one thing I have the pots wired backwards (terminals 1 and 3 are swapped). I guess that could cause the volume to jump early in the rotation... or very late in the rotation for yours.  But regardless, how do you get the unity volume more towards 12 o'clock?

Cheers, Mike
The Jammy Dodger

pandadandan

Quote from: JammyDodger on January 19, 2011, 05:27:52 PM
Well, for one thing I have the pots wired backwards (terminals 1 and 3 are swapped). I guess that could cause the volume to jump early in the rotation... or very late in the rotation for yours.  But regardless, how do you get the unity volume more towards 12 o'clock?

Cheers, Mike

If it's an audio pot, reversing the lugs will instantly fix the problem as you'll reverse the logarithmic curve.

jkokura

Quote from: pandadandan on January 21, 2011, 05:34:08 PM
Quote from: JammyDodger on January 19, 2011, 05:27:52 PM

Cheers, Mike

If it's an audio pot, reversing the lugs will instantly fix the problem as you'll reverse the logarithmic curve.

But won't that also reverse the travel of the knob? Meaning that it will work backwards? I haven't looked at the schem to see if it's a simple voltage divider or if it's a variable resistor...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals