News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Here's my Beanie Weenie

Started by jimmybjj, January 30, 2012, 03:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmybjj

Came out pretty good. A wah was something that was missing from my arsenal so this project come along at a good time. By far my most expensive diy pedal to date between the wah enclosure, mccon-o-wah pot, pcb, and whipple, but well worth it. Technically incomplete because i am missing the rubber feet that go under the actual rocker, anybody know where i can get some? Used as many of my left over amp parts as possible. Used a couple of axial caps, some carbon comps and all 1/2 watt resistors. Used a bc108 for q1 and bc549c for q2. Not my best powder coating job but still looks descent. My resent favorite powder DC texture (black) and rockstar yellow, there is some gold flake in the yellow that you can't see with the camera. I can't really give you guys a comparison on how it sounds compared to other wahs because haven't had much experience with wah's and its been a long time since i've even played one. I didn't have much luck with the freq trim, was getting that envelop volume swell thing. Just not my thing so i stuck a 15n in there like Jake did, sounds tops.

Pcbs no longer available

nzCdog

Sozo Mojo!  Nice racing stripes look Jim, if it sounds anything like Jake's then I'm jealous of you as well ;)

sgmezei

JakeFuzz

Sick! I love seeing wah's in awesome colors. They are one of those things you hardly ever see in anything but chrome-top and crybaby black. This looks awesome. Love those Whipple's, it would be interesting to compare this and the other popular inductors. I have another wah that has almost the same specs as this one but with a yellow Fasel and it sounds totally different. The Whipple sounds better for sure; like more resonant or something, hard to explain but I'm happy  :D

Haberdasher

Great job Jim!  I've got to build mine too.

Is it C6 where you guys are using 15n?

edit:  Oh, it's C5.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

kaeisy

jkokura

I don't think those are the feet he means - the ones that are missing are the ones of the rocker that keep it from 'clinking' against the base at the extremes.

For those, is it possible to take a look in a hardware store? Perhaps you can repurpose some sort of product. Even the sticky foam we use sometimes might work.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

plesur

Jargo

It came to me earlier when I started to gut my Vox wah...those "stoppers" look like the rubber plungers that used to come in old school syringes...I'd grab one of those, cut the conical end and voila! just sayin'

Whipple and the pot, among other things are on the way...gonna read around a little before I decide which Caps to acquire...

more to come

gtr2

Um..tasty.

(Beanie Weenies)  :D

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jimmybjj

Thanks for the compliments guys. Thanks for the links to the grommets.

Quote from: JakeFuzz on January 30, 2012, 04:34:17 AM
Sick! I love seeing wah's in awesome colors. They are one of those things you hardly ever see in anything but chrome-top and crybaby black. This looks awesome. Love those Whipple's, it would be interesting to compare this and the other popular inductors. I have another wah that has almost the same specs as this one but with a yellow Fasel and it sounds totally different. The Whipple sounds better for sure; like more resonant or something, hard to explain but I'm happy  :D

Thanks, I try and do things a little different each time. You've got me thinking now, I think I will make a layout with 3 selectable inductors.
Pcbs no longer available

bigmufffuzzwizz

Looks soo good! I'd definitely pedal creep on that if I saw it at a show!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

sgmezei

Hey is the frequency pot you and JakeFuzz leaving out, is that C5 you are replacing? I am just building mine now.

Am I reading it right that the Freq pot is a blend pot between 3n9 and 100n?

jimmybjj

Quote from: sgmezei on February 09, 2012, 06:51:58 PM
Hey is the frequency pot you and JakeFuzz leaving out, is that C5 you are replacing? I am just building mine now.

Am I reading it right that the Freq pot is a blend pot between 3n9 and 100n?

Correct, if you just want to use one cap instead of the pot, use the c5 spot and leave freq pot and c6 empty.
Pcbs no longer available

TNblueshawk

Wow, very cool. Love your weenie  :o
John