News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Three new builds

Started by marauder, February 21, 2012, 12:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marauder

The Dirtbag is now in an enclosure, after the preview the other week.

The CE-2 and Aquaboy have been built for around 3 months waiting to be housed.

All three builds worked first time!!!  I couldn't believe it.

gtr2

Very well executed builds!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

plesur

I like the nunchuk wielding octopus!  :D

DutchMF

Very cool stuff! I know the graphic on the Dirtbag is not HR Geiger, but what is it? Same creep-factor though!
Like the CE-2 as well, C-ychedelic!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Bret608

I agree about the look of these! All are awesome. Love the layout for all the hardware on the Dirtbag!

I am just getting started on a Pork Barrel too. I really like the graphic on this one--it's not the usual cliche 80s look but still says "chorus."

Is that a Millenium Bypass daughter board you used? I am planning to do this as I got one of the boards from LaceSensor at holiday PIF time. Did you use a 1590b or 125b? Just planning ahead...I figure I'll have to turn it to the side as you did to fit it all; just wondering if you had any pointers.

Diamond

So you built both a Dirtbag and an Aquaboy. How do they compare, soundwise?

Nice and clean build job btw! :) How did you do the graphics on these?

sgmezei

Great builds man. I am about to finish my first pork barrel and still have a dirtbag and aquaboy to debug.

These look awesome!

juansolo

Quote from: Diamond on February 21, 2012, 04:42:15 PM
So you built both a Dirtbag and an Aquaboy. How do they compare, soundwise?

Nice and clean build job btw! :) How did you do the graphics on these?

They're transparent adhesive decals. I did a guide for doing them, but it's a little out of date now as we've changed our ways ;)

Guide is here ( Cleggy is Marauder, they are one and the same ;) )

The difference is now we tend to stick to either a raw/polished finish or powdercoated white. The reason being that the painted enclosures just aren't that durable. Also we (I say we on this bit, Marauder does the envirotexing) envirotex over the top now (and the top only). So the new procedure is thus:

-Do design
-Print on plain paper
-Stick plain paper to box, mark then drill holes
-Box is then either polished or the top is flatted
-We've found recently that the stickers are easier to get on if the box (and therefore the adhesive) is hot, so we heat them up on a radiator then apply the decal.
-Then Mr C envirotexes them
-Leave them a week to cure
-Then re-drill the holes through the envirotex (scoring the back of the decal from the inside of the box first)

It's long winded but it works. The biggest issue is that the envirotex really struggles to stick to the black ink. So when you drill it can lift and swarf can get underneath ruining it. Hence we drill twice.

They end up looking bloody marvellous and they're really tough. But it's quite a bit of work.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

eldanko

Aquaboy graphic makes me smile.  :D
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

DutchMF

Quote from: juansolo on February 21, 2012, 06:23:47 PM
-Then Mr C envirotexes them

Envirotex? Could you please explain? Never heard of this before, but if it looks this good, might be reason to try....
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

juansolo

http://eti-usa.com/envirotex-lite/

It's fun to apply, that's why I leave Cleggy to do it!

marauder

nzCdog

Nice builds  :o
That Dirtbag looks insane!   I don't quite have the guts to try that one yet :P

Diamond

Thanks for the tips guys! The graphics do look really great on these. Problem I have though is that my enclosures tend to carry different projects through the course of their lives. ;) So I'd only use this if I'm absolutely sure I'd want to keep an effect.

juansolo

We recycle enclosures and parts a surprising amount. Certainly when we build something that totally superceeds something we already have. Most of them we can re-use. You can generally remove the decal/envirotex as a single lump if you're careful. The decals adhesive isn't that strong. Wipe the box down with some white spirit afterwards and you can usually re-use it.