News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PCB Layout for Musical Effects

Started by upthepunxxx, May 01, 2014, 08:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upthepunxxx

Odale Carnals!

I want to start really understanding PCB layouts and home etching. Would ordering this book be a good place to start? I read a couple threads that mentioned the book, but was curious if anyone had any other suggestions or if this is the right place to start?

Wake up and smell the noise!!

jkokura

Is that RG's book? I think it's good quality but a little dated. I think you'd learn lots from it, but the info is probably available around here and the rest of the inter web too.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

upthepunxxx

Quote from: jkokura on May 01, 2014, 09:33:38 PM
Is that RG's book? I think it's good quality but a little dated. I think you'd learn lots from it, but the info is probably available around here and the rest of the inter web too.

Jacob

thats the one! And yea I know what you mean. I've learned so much already just searching for posts on that book already! Thanks Jacob!
P.S.
I'm super pumped for my testing rig to arrive!

ggarms

Honestly man, I googled "Etching" and visited the general guitar gadgets page and printed my first PCB design on magazine paper. I ran to radioshack and bought their ferric chloride, busted out my iron, and got going! Just take the plunge. I would recommend getting some blue press n peel from steve @ small bear for printing designs on. I've also heard that glossy photo paper works and is cheaper. Other essentials- a few different sized sharpies (ferric chloride doesn't eat through permanent marker, so you can redraw traces that didn't transfer well) a good iron, access to a laser printer, and lots of little plastic containers. Be warned though- Once you start etching, (at least for me) kiss the next few months' free time goodbye. You won't be able to stop!

madbean

I bought that book a few months after I started trying to design my own PCBs. It is well written and thought out. The info is organized pretty clearly.

However, I can say by the time I got it I figured out most of the material for myself just by doing doing it over and over. I think the best way to learn is to study other people's layouts and see how they arrange things. For me, I looked at a lot of the Tonepad and GeneralGuitarGadgets layouts to try and breakdown how they were designed. There is nothing wrong with going the "book" route, but I suggest just jumping in first and try a couple simple designs. Get a feel for it. It's more fun than trying to get through a bunch of text and then applying it. Gain a little experience first, then the information will be absorbed much more easily.

The main things to remember are: have the right component library (which you do...just use mine!), know what size enclosure you are designing for, put the pots and I/O pads in sensible places (pots at the top, I/O at the bottom as one example) and group relevant portions of the circuit together. Place power sections away from the audio path when possible, keep high gain portions away from low gain, keep other noise sources isolated as much as possible (like LFOs) and make use as few jumpers as you can (if designing a single sided board).

It's tempting to just jump into designing double sided boards because it's awfully convenient to get those PCBs made cheaply. However, you will learn a HELL of a lot better if you try doing just single sided designs first. If you master that, double sided is a cakewalk...it will feel like cheating because it is so much easier.

Someday, when I have nothing but free time, I plan on putting together my own manifesto on PCB design for the website....just like all that other stuff I'm gonna do. Yeah.

Blues Healer

thanks for a great synopsis, Brian ... that'll help my efforts with learning layout in Eagle
"music heals"

selfdestroyer

Madbean, Are we not saying "Phrasing"  anymore.. when did not become a thing anymore? LOL

QuoteI plan on putting together my own manifesto on PCB design for the website....just like all that other stuff I'm gonna do.

If I gave you some money from my pocket will that help? haha I can only imagine the vast knowledge you have learned from all the layouts you have accomplished. I would love a small insight on that.

Love the new Archer pic.

Cody

upthepunxxx

Quote from: madbean on May 02, 2014, 12:19:16 AM
I bought that book a few months after I started trying to design my own PCBs. It is well written and thought out. The info is organized pretty clearly.

However, I can say by the time I got it I figured out most of the material for myself just by doing doing it over and over. I think the best way to learn is to study other people's layouts and see how they arrange things. For me, I looked at a lot of the Tonepad and GeneralGuitarGadgets layouts to try and breakdown how they were designed. There is nothing wrong with going the "book" route, but I suggest just jumping in first and try a couple simple designs. Get a feel for it. It's more fun than trying to get through a bunch of text and then applying it. Gain a little experience first, then the information will be absorbed much more easily.

The main things to remember are: have the right component library (which you do...just use mine!), know what size enclosure you are designing for, put the pots and I/O pads in sensible places (pots at the top, I/O at the bottom as one example) and group relevant portions of the circuit together. Place power sections away from the audio path when possible, keep high gain portions away from low gain, keep other noise sources isolated as much as possible (like LFOs) and make use as few jumpers as you can (if designing a single sided board).

It's tempting to just jump into designing double sided boards because it's awfully convenient to get those PCBs made cheaply. However, you will learn a HELL of a lot better if you try doing just single sided designs first. If you master that, double sided is a cakewalk...it will feel like cheating because it is so much easier.

Someday, when I have nothing but free time, I plan on putting together my own manifesto on PCB design for the website....just like all that other stuff I'm gonna do. Yeah.

Wow man, I can't thank you enough for this information along with all other info and this forum. This is extremely helpful and exactly what I was looking for. I really think that wrapping my head around this process will start to get me to the next level in regard to really understanding what is going on inside a guitar pedal. As far a double sided vs single sided boards, I'm not really sure I even know what that means? Well I guess i do, it means I got me some learning to do! I'm going to take your advice and jump in, it just seems a bit daunting at first. However, hearing how someone at your level got to where to you are is indispensable and inspiring. So...here's go nothing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

culturejam

I think it would be cool if multiple board designers all each wrote their own philosophy of board design and then published it in one book. Like a self-publishing type thing, such as can be done on lulu.com.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

selfdestroyer

Quote from: culturejam on May 02, 2014, 07:22:00 PM

I think it would be cool if multiple board designers all each wrote their own philosophy of board design and then published it in one book. Like a self-publishing type thing, such as can be done on lulu.com.

Brilliant idea. A collective would be awesome.

Cody

culturejam

Quote from: selfdestroyer on May 02, 2014, 07:31:04 PM
Quote from: culturejam on May 02, 2014, 07:22:00 PM

Brilliant idea. A collective would be awesome.

I call "Editor"!!!  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

I know somebody who can proof read it and tell us all the areas in which we are wrong.   ;D
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

upthepunxxx

I bought a copper clad board from radio shack to give this a shot (after I read...alot) and realized it is double sided. Can I still use that, or do I need to get a single sided board?

sidenote: is a double sided board the kind you use for the double sided board layouts that I should avoid until I have a bit more experience?

twin1965

Yes, you can still use it. The unused side will just dissolve when etching.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2