News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PS-1A 2 / A1-SP

Started by juansolo, January 30, 2014, 08:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Another couple of Maestro PS-1A clones. However there have been some updates, so I thought I'd post these up where I normally wouldnt.

Layout by JDub on DIYSB, etched by Haberdasher. The HA17458 opamps we got from Tayda work, which is good as other things we tried didn't. It's worth adding the 5 RF surpressing caps underneath the board also as it's good at picking up radio without them.

We've now sorted the power. We're using the following supply and it's perfect for the job (it's hidden under the board and the regulator is bolted to the back of the case).

Another problem we had was that since we were running the effect true bypass, we were getting a pop on stomping the effect. That was traced to there being DC on the output. We replaced the resistor on the output with a 220nF cap, then ran a 1M resistor to ground after it, curing that problem.

The last issue was a bit of a volume drop when engagaed. We've replaced the 2n5087 on the input with a much higher gain BC559C. We think that's what's sorted it, it certainly seems far less noticeable now.

With all these changes and with some more setup, the effect it much better all round. To the point we could actually do with recording a new sound clip for it.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Droogie

Beautiful build, as always! How's it compare to the Stage Fright? Also curious about the box size—looks smaller than a DD but larger than a BB—and it ain't a 1790???
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

Jabulani Jonny

Dude, this just looks awesome.  Your artwork always kills.  BTW, what font do you use? 
Jonathan

billstein

All your builds are beautiful but I think this is my favorite so far.

juansolo

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on January 31, 2014, 02:51:55 AM
Dude, this just looks awesome.  Your artwork always kills.  BTW, what font do you use?

Feast of Flesh BB which appears to be becoming my main used font (and believe me, I have hundreds of the bloody things). It just works so well with so many things that I keep coming back to it.

muddyfox

Is that a color waterslide under the 'tex? If so, what kind is it?

Govmnt_Lacky

So...

Is the "backwards etching" going to become a typical Juansolo thing?  ;D

Is there a purpose behind etching the layouts backwards?

Beautiful pedals inside and out though...  ;)

pickdropper

It was fantastic before and it's fantastic again.  One of my favorites.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

micromegas

I think we have a thing in this forum for phase shifters...

Beautiful build in and out.

The PS-1A was the first guitar effect that got my attention, all thanks to this song:

(I've been listening to Pink Floyd since I were a newborn and Gilmour is one of my all time favourite guitarists, but this Led Zeppelin song was the first that made me stop and wonder "what kind of effect makes you sound like this")
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

micromegas

I took a look at the MCA05D12D datasheet and it says that, with a 5v input the max current rating is 42 mA. What are the advantages of using it against a TC1044 Juan (it is quite an expensive chip...)?

juansolo

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on January 31, 2014, 01:39:58 PM
So...

Better ask Haberdasher about that ;)

juansolo

Quote from: micromegas on January 31, 2014, 02:57:40 PM
I took a look at the MCA05D12D datasheet and it says that, with a 5v input the max current rating is 42 mA. What are the advantages of using it against a TC1044 Juan (it is quite an expensive chip...)?

The main advantage is that the brick worked. We were getting massive voltage drop we used a TC based inverter with this circuit. Here they're not much difference in price.

Haberdasher

Quote from: juansolo on January 31, 2014, 04:59:05 PM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on January 31, 2014, 01:39:58 PM
So...

Better ask Haberdasher about that ;)
juan & cleggy have become so adept with all this stuff, i figured they needed the extra challenge of working in "mirror mode".  that's the new "genius level". ;)
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

micromegas

Quote from: juansolo on January 31, 2014, 05:02:37 PM
Quote from: micromegas on January 31, 2014, 02:57:40 PM

The main advantage is that the brick worked. We were getting massive voltage drop we used a TC based inverter with this circuit. Here they're not much difference in price.

Got fooled by this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/DC-Converter-1W-Dual/dp/B0084ZM0IS and some ebay prices...
But Farnell's price is cheaper.. half cheaper...

marauder

Quote from: Haberdasher on January 31, 2014, 05:05:25 PM
juan & cleggy have become so adept with all this stuff, i figured they needed the extra challenge of working in "mirror mode".  that's the new "genius level". ;)

A genius wouldn't have reversed all the transistors, and then had to put them back in the right way.  It's only mirror horizontally.