News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Perfboard

Started by angrykoko, October 07, 2013, 09:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angrykoko

So I guess I didn't have enough frustration in my life and thought I'd try some perfboard.    I have the 1 solder pad per hole type and I'm 1000 % sure I'm doing this the hard (wrong) way.

I need some tips.  How do you guys go about populating these things?  Do you solder in the components and then use old lead clippings to connect them together later?   How do you keep it all straight in your head, I got so lost.
Bending the leads seems like it's the worst idea because if you mess up,  getting that component back out is nearly impossible.

Koko
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

midwayfair

Start from a corner. Focus on nodes, and solder components after you have everything at a particular junction. Clip the leads after you solder. Take your time, and double check before soldering. In the beginning you might have to check off things on the layout as you go along.

Plan ahead about how you're using the component leagues.

hoodoo

OT slighly. This question is probably aimed at you Jon, or any other perf gurus. I've never tried it, but it seems difficult, not as neat as vero, with a greater chance to make mistakes. Each to their own, i know, but is there a benefit to doing perf, other than personal choice, am i missing out? thanks, Matt.

angrykoko

Thanks Jon,

That's what I started off doing, working a section but, wow I have a new respect for you guys that work on these boards.
I think I only got about 8 components on in over an hour which included having to get one out because I counted holes wrong.  The final straw for me was looking down and seeing one of my standing resistors I soldered in earlier laying on the table (stressed it off I guess).

Do you also add the off board wire as you go along or do you wait till the end?  I was afraid I'd miss something so I added it but that makes it harder to solder new components because the board is flailing around.

I'll give it another try tomorrow... if all else fails I guess I can just mimic the layout and etch a board. 

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

ch1naski

Perf is for psychos or professionals. Or both, in Jon's case.
;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

one louder.

ch1naski

Quote from: hoodoo on October 08, 2013, 12:02:24 AM
OT slighly. This question is probably aimed at you Jon, or any other perf gurus. I've never tried it, but it seems difficult, not as neat as vero, with a greater chance to make mistakes. Each to their own, i know, but is there a benefit to doing perf, other than personal choice, am i missing out? thanks, Matt.
perf can sometimes manage smaller board space, and lends itself to single side pcb layout.....those are the good points.....but it can be a pain

one louder.

jkokura

My best advice about perfboard...

Get a manufactured PCB. Seriously. I suck at Perf so bad. I have no idea why. I've tried dozens of simple things, and they rarely work.

But the other guys who do it, do it well. Listen to them, not me.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

alanp

Did a ROG 22/7 on perf. I like it more than I do vero (no track cutting needed), but a bit of thought is still required.

When you insert components, run the excess component legs along the tracks in the direction you need, and once it's reached the next component, THEN you cut it.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jkokura

I'm trying to remember who the perf genius at DIY stompboxes is... is it Solderman? In any case, it's the guy who builds the sub-mini tube amps in 125Bs. Go check out some of his boards... it's maddeningly beautiful. In fact, there may not be any better 'diy pron' out there. Seriously. From a guy who prides himself on clean, simple, beautiful interiors on his pedals... go check out solderman at DIY Stompboxes.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

angrykoko

Thanks guys,

Below is as far as I got the other day.
It's this BTW:  http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=66861.20

I'm really wondering if it just wouldn't work out better for me to solder the components in and snip the excess (like populating a pcb)... then after that's all done... start bridging the circut connections.  I know everyone says to bend the leads as you go but.. just wondering if it would be faster in the end (for my A.D.D. brain anyway).  I'll give a couple a try, see if this theory works.   And the Tayda resistor leads fatigue easily too, already lost a resistor from being too rough flipping the board over and over.

Jacob, I usually will etch pcb's but just wanted to try something different this time.  At this moment though, I totally agree with your sentiment about perfboard.  But I set out to learn something new and I'll see this to the end (or I take a hammer to it  :) )

ch1naski

Oh the infamous ugly face.

one louder.

angrykoko

Yup, I had built it a while ago on a "music pcb" pcb but it was just to much of a glitchy noisy mess, interesting but nothing I would use for more than 2 mins so I took it apart and re-cycled the enclosure to something else....

Then just recently I stumbled on a demo from pinkjimmiphoton and was kinda blown away how cool his build sounded, still crazy but in a good way.  Found his reference to this layout which seems to have several cap changes in addition to the LFO.

So far my idea to bridge the components later is slightly easier, I like that the components are secure and less likely to fatigue and break.  The downside is when you only have one pad to jump to, for those it would be best to bend a lead over.

I also took the layout and "mirror" imaged it so when I m looking at the back of the board I have a direct reference, this helps a little too.

This is still painfully slow to do though, but at least I've relieved one worry.

Koko

angrykoko

So.. how fragile are the 7555 ic's
I missed a connection to pin 4 (reset) and it got hot... caught it before it melted but still got some smell off it.

I've connected pin 4 now and I get some noise through the whole thing but the 7555 is still getting hot.

perfboard sucks btw.   

Matt

I almost always draw a layout first. 
Matt

Ettore_M

Quote from: jkokura on October 08, 2013, 03:51:06 PM
I'm trying to remember who the perf genius at DIY stompboxes is… is it Solderman? In any case, it's the guy who builds the sub-mini tube amps in 125Bs. Go check out some of his boards… it's maddeningly beautiful. In fact, there may not be any better 'diy pron' out there. Seriously. From a guy who prides himself on clean, simple, beautiful interiors on his pedals… go check out solderman at DIY Stompboxes.

Jacob
That should be Rick Holt from Frequency Central, not Solderman! ;) Yeah, the dude is the master of perfboard. I haven't ever seen cleeaner builds on perfboard. Like ever! :)

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam