News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

JHS EHX Lizard Queen

Started by LaceSensor, April 18, 2023, 10:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Anyone here talking about this? Did a search came up blank
Quite a cool story (Josh JHS and his EHX loving mate design a "homage" to the 70s) turned into a bit of a business idea (1000 expensive pedals, limitless nano EHX pedals) and a whole host of controversy over "original transistor designs" when it turns out to be a straight lift of two DIY classics.

Have a look here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu2xGg49RCw&t=2423s
https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?t=32602

Ive made a vero cos why not. Ill try and build this soon.

jwin615

Brian did a etch already. Check the thread in etchers paradise subforum.

LaceSensor

Fair enough.

jwin615

Sorry if that came of short lace. Been a day and was between calls. Good debate on that thread though...

jessenator

I love the fervor around everyone getting into a new build launch and doing it, doing it their way, riffing and modding. Heck, that's what we're all about: DIY ;D

One of these days I'll be able to pick out a circuit and do something meaningful with it.

I can't wait to build mine.

edit: okay, I'm starting to see the issue people have with the LQ enough to clone the crap out of it. Sorry, I'm not deep into the history of DIY. My comment was meant as a diffuser, but it comes off naive, because there's truth in that regarding this hobby.

LaceSensor

Quote from: jwin615 on April 19, 2023, 01:38:08 AM
Sorry if that came of short lace. Been a day and was between calls. Good debate on that thread though...

Can you link me? I can only see Brian's etch build hardly any debate.

Thanks

madbean

Quote from: LaceSensor on April 19, 2023, 06:07:31 AM
Quote from: jwin615 on April 19, 2023, 01:38:08 AM

Can you link me? I can only see Brian's etch build hardly any debate.

Thanks

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/EP/downloads/fuzz/Dragonthlayur.zip

LaceSensor

gordo

And the board works, and sounds quite nice.  I'll fiddle around with the different transistors listed on various versions floating around the web but its kinda cool that everything old is new again.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Doorlord

Can't wait to build one of these. Probably do the Vero since I have some laying around.... gonna call mine the Thlayur Queef

LaceSensor

Quote from: Doorlord on April 19, 2023, 02:25:44 PM
Can't wait to build one of these. Probably do the Vero since I have some laying around.... gonna call mine the Thlayur Queef

This is the way

jimilee

Quote from: LaceSensor on April 19, 2023, 02:28:17 PM
Quote from: Doorlord on April 19, 2023, 02:25:44 PM

This is the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jwin615

So Brian's layout has a Darlington pair mpsa13 at Q1 and stripboard has a single transistor.
Is this maybe the difference in the JHS model and the EHX one?
Josh mentioned some parts he got 10 years ago from a hoarder used in the JHS model.
Guessing they were lowish hfe something or another's. Maybe germs?

madbean

I think it's been confirmed that Q1 is a 2n222a.

LaceSensor

Q1 2n2222a in the smd nano version
Not sure if anyone a pulled apart the big box yet

I actually put MPSA13 in my vero build it sounds good