News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Electrolytic caps

Started by shawnee, August 15, 2011, 11:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnee

Just wondering if you guys spend a little extra and buy audio grade electrolytic caps for your builds. Is there a sonic difference?

gtr2

I use the nichicon audio grades like this

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UKW1H100MDD/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22e0BBN1kF1oiBKwxcee8ijk%3d

But I only put them where it would make a difference in the circuit.  For example, I don't use them in power supply areas of the circuit or where the cap is going to ground.  They really don't cost a whole lot more either.  Can I hear a difference?  I haven't compared similar circuits, but I like how they look lol.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jimmybjj

First, I've never tried them(yet) but keep in mind most of the time electro's are not in the signal path most of the time so it wouldn't make a difference. That being said of of the guys that I respect around claim they can hear a difference when used in the signal path and thats good enough for me to give it a try eventually.

Edit: gtr2 replied while I was typing :) btw who is one of the guys I repect :)
Pcbs no longer available

cjkbug

I've tested identicle circuits. with the nichicons. and noticed improved bass response. not a ton, but it's there. more than enough to justify the cost. I only wish I could find them in axial.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

bigmufffuzzwizz

I gotta stop being such a cheap-o and grab some of these. Honestly, for the extra buck you'd spend on them it's worth a try!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Haberdasher

I've been using them here and there in pedals.  I'm another one who looks at the schematic to see where I think it might make a difference.  Usually where polarized caps go to ground (especially power filtering) I use cheap lelons, nichicons, etc.  Whatever mouser has a good deal on.

Honestly I haven't done any side by side comparisons to see if it matters.  It matters in my head though, so that means it sounds better.  ;)
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jimmybjj

Quote from: Haberdasher on August 15, 2011, 03:00:38 PMIt matters in my head though, so that means it sounds better.  ;)

I like that :) that may become my signature :)
Pcbs no longer available

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: Haberdasher on August 15, 2011, 03:00:38 PM
Honestly I haven't done any side by side comparisons to see if it matters.  It matters in my head though, so that means it sounds better.  ;)

That is what really matters!  :P
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

shawnee

Thanks for the replies. I have to think using the "audio" grade nichicons are worth the extra dime (even if I won't be able to hear it).