News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hobie- Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion

Started by Thewintersoldier, August 11, 2023, 11:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

This one caught me off guard. @dan.schumaker had mentioned to me before he was working on a DS-2 but it wasn't quite right. Then he emailed me and said I had one headed my way to test. I was ecstatic to say the least! It came in the mail and that day I built it up and tested it. I've been waiting for this day for a LONG time 😂

If you've seen or built one of Dan's boards you know he's a mad scientist. He can make any size circuit fit into any enclosure. This is a Big circuit with some pretty complex switching involving lots of fets for the two modes. Dan used CMOS switching via a SPDT and the results are flawless. The fact that he got all this into a 125b with onboard relay bypass is pretty remarkable. I'm used to 1/8watt resistors so the build itself was a breeze.

So how does it sound? I put it side by side to my production DS-2 and it sounds the same. Only difference is, I used a logarithmic pot for distortion instead of the D taper the stock uses. Close enough for rock n roll. Other than that I used all common parts and smd j201s for the jfets.

For the enclosure I used a matte orange tayda box and UV print. This pedal will always be synonymous with Kurt Cobain and my love of In Utero. As a tribute to the man who imo is one of the greatest stage destroyers I went with Hobie Brown aka spider punk who embodies the sound and spirit of this build. What a fantastic build and sound it makes. The video clip is from my testing rig before I boxed it, as I just got back from vacation and the day before I left my hot water heater died and leaked, so my music room is filled with stuff from the storage side still and no filming right now.

Who the hell is Bucky?

jessenator

Bio77

This is one is my fave of your DS-1 flavored series.  Killer  8)

Did you ever build a Silver-Screw?

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bio77 on August 11, 2023, 03:48:36 PM

I actually have the board for an aion with the original inline preamp opamp. Ironically, it sounds like any other DS-1. Maybe one day I'll rehouse it.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bio77

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on August 11, 2023, 04:21:18 PM

I actually have the board for an aion with the original inline preamp opamp. Ironically, it sounds like any other DS-1. Maybe one day I'll rehouse it.
Yeah, that's the one with the TA7136AP.  I like it best, seems more open to my ears. But I'd admit, I could be listening with my eyes  ;D

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Bio77 on August 11, 2023, 04:38:20 PM
Quote from: Thewintersoldier on August 11, 2023, 04:21:18 PM

Yeah, that's the one with the TA7136AP.  I like it best, seems more open to my ears. But I'd admit, I could be listening with my eyes  ;D
The noise floor is a little higher with the chip and yeah, I can get a slightly different vibe from that pedal if I listen with my eyes and wallet lol. But, once you layer guitars or add other instruments all that is lost, atleast imo
Who the hell is Bucky?