News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Acoustic Guitar

Started by gtr2, January 09, 2013, 03:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patrickbrose

My biggest tip when choosing an acoustic: Regardless of which brand you choose, play as many as you can. They will all sound a bit different. Go to a place that will have multiple examples of any given guitar and try them all. I ended up purchasing my Taylor at Guitar Center (I know  ::) ) but the upside was that they had so many guitars to play. I played 4 different guitars of most types ( and that included Martins, Takamines, Breedlove, Gibsons Etc) What I found was that each guitar sounded and played just a bit different. Of the 4 414 I played, they each were a bit different. So I chose the one that I liked the very best.
-P

GermanCdn

+1 on not getting hung up on the brand, but playing as many as you can.  My favourite acoustic, and only one of two guitars I've kept for over 15 years, is my Peavey SD-50, but it was a Japanese handbuilt single run way back in the mid 90s.  Played a pile of acoustics, including some of the early Taylor stuff, before landing on that one.  If I could find another one, I'd buy it.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jkokura

I love my Alvarez, but I have one of the high end handbuilts from Kazuo Yairi's shop, so it's a bit out of the price range. However, because it's not as high end a 'name' as Martin, Taylor, et al., the Alvarez line is often more guitar for a similar price. Check out some of their stock models, as they have many in your price range, but you may have to search for a dealer.

I've been using my Yairi for about 10 years, and it's the last acoustic I will every buy, if you know what I mean. If I ever acquire a second, it's merely as a backup.

But if I did get a backup, I'd be looking for either another Alvarez, or perhaps the solid wood Yamaha's. I've never picked up a Yamaha I couldn't play. They are consistent, but not high end. I would rank them as better than Takamine for sure, and would pick one over the same priced Martin's, Taylors, Larivee's, etc.

Best advice I can give is similar to another post above. Go try all the guitars you can, especially if you find a model you like. Try to find a good acoustically designed room that's quiet to play in. Pick the one that SOUNDS best, not just plays best. Often with acoustics the travel and storage and then display conditions will affect the way they play. Just because a guitar may not play perfectly, doesn't mean it can't be improved. A good luthier can make your guitar play perfectly for you. However, a good luthier cannot make your guitar sound better. Choose the one that sounds best, as it probably has the best wood, finish, and fit, and that guitar will likely sound and play better as time moves forward.

Also, if you're spending 1-1.5 grand on a guitar, set aside 75-200 bucks for a good case, and another 50-100 bucks for a good setup by A REAL LUTHIER, not just the kid in the back of the shop who restrings guitars.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

rowland1

Another plug for Taylor,
I got a used Taylor 214ce a few months ago. I LOVE it! It's got a laminate body but the neck is awesome and it sounds great. I paid $600 bucks for it.

If I had the extra money I would immediately buy a 314 or 414. At the 300 level and above you get solid wood construction and the fretboard is a bit wider, which I prefer. You also get the Taylor Expression System electronics, if you go electric. The 214 has a piezo pup.
I've heard great things about Guitar Rodeo as a Taylor seller. They offer better prices than they can show on their website. www.guitarrodeo.com

pickdropper

I'll be the odd one out here as most Taylor's leave me cold.  They are very well crafted, they just tend to sound a bit  tight to me.

If the vintage guitar show comes through your town, I would look for an older Martin.  I was surprised that some of the vintage ones were in the same range as current offerings.  I still dream of the '67 D16 that I played.  Man, that thing was alive.

Also, some of the used Guilds are fantastic guitars.  I do like the smaller body Martins as well.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jkokura

I played a early 40's gibson that wasn't large, and it may have been the nicest guitar I have ever played.

Guy who had it payed like 200 bucks for it.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

pickdropper

Quote from: jkokura on January 11, 2013, 04:33:54 AM
I played a early 40's gibson that wasn't large, and it may have been the nicest guitar I have ever played.

Guy who had it payed like 200 bucks for it.

Jacob

Yeah, I am not a huge fan if the current Gibson acoustics, but some of those older ones are fantastic.  I had a late 30's one on loan from my cousin for a number of years.  It really sounded great.  The only downside was that the neck had a bit of a v shape to it, which isn't ideal for an acoustic, IMHO.
Function f(x)

whitebread47

Quote from: pickdropper on January 11, 2013, 02:11:40 AM
I'll be the odd one out here as most Taylor's leave me cold.  They are very well crafted, they just tend to sound a bit  tight to me.

That's my experience as well, and I've played a few nice ones.  My description would be "sterile."  Kind of like a Boss digital delay, clear and precise, but lacking the character of a good analog delay (Martin or old Gibson to complete the analogy).

I just realized how ironic it was to use an analogy in regards to the analog-digital delay deal.  ;D
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

jkokura

I should clarify... a wartime Gibson is a super expensive guitar now, and it's worth much, much more than 200 bucks. Those sorts of deals are not to be had easy.

I also don't like Taylors, mostly because they're more expensive than they need to be. You can get the same quality for less money.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

pickdropper

Quote from: whitebread47 on January 11, 2013, 05:03:33 AM

That's my experience as well, and I've played a few nice ones.  My description would be "sterile."  Kind of like a Boss digital delay, clear and precise, but lacking the character of a good analog delay (Martin or old Gibson to complete the analogy).

I just realized how ironic it was to use an analogy in regards to the analog-digital delay deal.  ;D

Yeah, sterile.  I've played a bunch of them and they all shared that, although there are some I like better than others.  A buddy of mine has an all koa one that is one of the best looking guitars I've ever seen.  His 70's Guild sounds better, though.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: jkokura on January 11, 2013, 05:21:19 AM
I should clarify... a wartime Gibson is a super expensive guitar now, and it's worth much, much more than 200 bucks. Those sorts of deals are not to be had easy.

I also don't like Taylors, mostly because they're more expensive than they need to be. You can get the same quality for less money.

Jacob

QFT.  WAAAAAYYYY more expensive.  :-)

I don't know how much the one I had is worth these days, but the last time I looked, an equivalent model was about $7k.
Function f(x)

aziltz

Quote from: pickdropper on January 11, 2013, 05:40:20 AM

Yeah, sterile.  I've played a bunch of them and they all shared that, although there are some I like better than others.  A buddy of mine has an all koa one that is one of the best looking guitars I've ever seen.  His 70's Guild sounds better, though.

not my experience at all, must be my ears.   :)

pickdropper

Quote from: aziltz on January 11, 2013, 06:11:27 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on January 11, 2013, 05:40:20 AM

not my experience at all, must be my ears.   :)

I am sure your ears are fine.  I know a lot of great players that love Taylor.  And plenty that hate Martins.  There is no such thing as a guitar that is all things to all people.  Ya gotta play what speaks to you.
Function f(x)

DutchMF

I'm not big on acoustics, but I'll chip in: the best one I've ever played (to my ears anyway) was a weird Gibson acoustic, I think it was all rosewood and mahogany, with an average sized body and a cutaway. I have no idea what model it was (owned by a friend of mine, he doesn't have a clue either) but I would have taken it home with me, If he would have let me...... My own acoustic is a beat up Squire I bought new for (I think) 75 euro's, just to let you know how much I care about acoustics......

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

gtr2

I've been looking into the small body Santa Cruz line as well.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer