News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

portable / easy install <-> store neatly work bench?

Started by add4, February 12, 2012, 07:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

add4

So i'm having a daughter in a few months.
that's a great news! but that also means that my workbench / give guitar lessons room is mutated into a baby room. and i don't have any other room in the house to build pedals...
what are your solutions to have a portable, easily installable workbench?
i'm looking for creative ways to stock components, protect a table that can't be stained/touched by tools, and in general, go from a clean dining room to an efficient work bench in a few minutes ....
I do hope that you have solutions for that or i'm seriously screwed up until i find a new place to live in (and to money to pay it...)
thanks in advance

jkokura

Using tool boxes is helpful, and when I've been in the same boat I've used a fishing tackle box to store parts - not the traditional type that look like a tool box, but the modern type that store little part drawers or trays.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

sam_c

+1 on the tool boxes.  I actually just use gripseal bags labelled up for my components and keep pretty much everything to do with pedal building in a large box.

you could get a roll of cork gasket material to lay out on your table to protect it, something that you can roll up and pack away but will be thick eneough to prtect from a dropped screwdriver or clumsy soldering iron.

I have some metal trays that I do all my soldering on and clip my component leads over.  When Im done for the day I pack everything away and then empty the tray into the bin.  Im always suprised how many component leads, solder blobs, wire insulation cut offs etc that a pedal build produces. 

GermanCdn

I use a floormat to protect my workspace, rolls up tight, doesn't slip on the table, typically catches a lot of stray parts.  A more elegant solution is picking up a guitar station mat from Rockinger (http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?cat=WG181&lang=ENG&product=09210&sid3=79cb86fb4843df9bddf305a08b3cdccf).  Big enough work surface, rolls ups into a small box.  But don't use it for double duty (i.e. pedals and guitar maintenance).  You'll end up scratching your guitars, guaranteed.

As far as storing parts goes, tackle boxes work best, but I've gone to small tool bags (you can get them from Obi or Praktiker), works well and keeps everything fairly neat.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.