News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bad resistors from Tayda? No, cheap multimeter.

Started by AntKnee, February 03, 2017, 02:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

All of my resistors are Tayda, and they've gone in everything from Moog 960 clones to LaVache pedals.

I was worried in the extreme when I saw that subject line.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

stringsthings

I've used many, many resistors from Tayda and never had a problem.
Once you get used to the thinner leads, they're really just like any other resistor.
All You Need Is Love

AntKnee

I am sorry if I caused any offense or concern regarding parts. I did do what I thought was a good double check with known good parts. Under the circumstances, it truly appeared to me that I had bad parts. I don't have the experience with problems of this nature to know that a cheap meter could work fine with some resistors and not work with others. I assumed it would either work, or not work, with any resistor. So, it seemed perfectly logical to conclude the resistors were bad. That was my mistake.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

chordball

Now worries man. It's clearned up and we all learned something.

I'll compare the transistor tester on the multimeter to my other tester and report back. I've never used the one on the multimeter since I had the other one.

EBRAddict

I use a DCA75 and a small DIY rig to test through hole transistors. Between the 0.05, 0.1 and ZIF socket I can burn through a pile of transistors pretty quickly.

bcalla

I made a little resistor tester out of some Envirotex and a couple paper clips.

gordo

That paper clip resistor cradle is brilliant!  Wished I'd thought of it.  I hate troubleshooting so I measure all my resistors as I populate the board.  It has reduced my box of fail ratio to near zilch.

I picked up a gizmo similar to the Tayda one and can't believe how accurate it is.  At least with resistors.  I scored mine on eBay for $12 after reading a post from Pink Jimi Photon.  I have no idea how they can pull that off, I'd think the zif socket alone would cost that much.  I mounted it to a bit of wood to give it a bit more heft so I don't break it.

I ended up doing the same with my Delyk test rig.  Keeps it stable on the bench and I don't have to worry about plugging something into the wrong terminal.

Guts go right from the rig to the box. Here's a gratuitous shot of the freshly minted AquaBoy with the Mod board.

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

bluescage

devilsnight

A good quality dvm is well worth its price. I fortunately work in a career where I need to have a good meter (or two) So that translates well to my hobbies also. I have a $60 esi meter at home for building stuff which works ok but, I bring my fluke home quite often too. There is little comparison between the two. For $150 (maybe less used) you can pick up a new fluke meter. I don't know of anything better, pretty much an industry standard.

blearyeyes

Quote from: chordball on February 03, 2017, 10:47:23 PM
I've been using this multimeter for quite a while now and so far it's been great. I couldn't afford a Fluke and did some research before I settled on this one. No complaints, especially for the low cost.

https://www.amazon.com/AideTek-VC97-Multimeter-Capacitor-Frequency/dp/B008GTEZPI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1486161905&sr=8-6&keywords=aidetek

I have the same meter and it has been fine. Not the best but totally functional.

blackedition

Quote from: gordo on February 05, 2017, 02:38:56 AM
That paper clip resistor cradle is brilliant!  Wished I'd thought of it.  I hate troubleshooting so I measure all my resistors as I populate the board.  It has reduced my box of fail ratio to near zilch.

I picked up a gizmo similar to the Tayda one and can't believe how accurate it is.  At least with resistors.  I scored mine on eBay for $12 after reading a post from Pink Jimi Photon.  I have no idea how they can pull that off, I'd think the zif socket alone would cost that much.  I mounted it to a bit of wood to give it a bit more heft so I don't break it.

I ended up doing the same with my Delyk test rig.  Keeps it stable on the bench and I don't have to worry about plugging something into the wrong terminal.

Guts go right from the rig to the box. Here's a gratuitous shot of the freshly minted AquaBoy with the Mod board.

any chance you have links to the resistor/ transistor tester and the test rig? thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

cloudscapes

Rule of thumb, if your multimeter has a transistor-testing socket, it's probably too cheap. ;)

(actually not a joke. the two come hand-in-hand more often than not)

galaxiex

Quote from: cloudscapes on February 06, 2017, 09:51:44 PM
Rule of thumb, if your multimeter has a transistor-testing socket, it's probably too cheap. ;)

(actually not a joke. the two come hand-in-hand more often than not)

So true...

Seems they try to pack as many "features" as possible into the cheapest of test gear....  ::)

OTOH.... I have a (relatively) expensive older-ish Digi-Log meter that has a hfe tester.... and I still don't trust it. (shrug)
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

AntKnee

Just an update for anyone still interested. I did get a decent multimeter and the components read just fine now. I tested 330k resistors and they were consistently reading 329.5, so no complaints there. I didn't go crazy, spent about $25 on something that works for my use. I don't need a Fluke or anything crazy just for testing components and trouble shooting.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

gordo

I do have the links.  The test rig is our own daleykd and this website is https://pcb.delyk.com.  I noticed the full kit (I got lazy and went that route - very recommended for instant gratification) is currently out of stock.

The gizmo: http://stores.ebay.com/frentaly?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?