News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Year of the Dragon

Started by pickdropper, October 10, 2018, 12:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Quote from: cooder on October 10, 2018, 10:53:55 PM
I can see a finger print on the second photo.... rock shock horror...

... just kiddin'. Most excellent of course. What else could I add while my jaw is on the floor...?
He does, however, look very serious in that pic, with that brow-creased focus.  ;)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

matmosphere

Wow, that is great looking. And a very cool solution for the ins/outs.

I know you're happy at your day job, but you could make a good little business if you wanted to. Pretty much everything about your stuff screams high end.

pickdropper

Quote from: m-Kresol on October 10, 2018, 05:51:07 PM
Wow, that's a georgeous build! And I was just briefly believing you about messy wiring, then I remembered who you are and wasn't dissapointed once I scrolled down to the gut shot. That muff board is also pleasingly symmetrical :)

Any reason you still use 3pdt and not optical or relay bypass?

It's a good question.  I have had very few failures with 3PDT switches over the years, so the switch to optical wasn't really worth it to me.  I do prefer relay bypass (we use it in all the FFX pedals) and will likely start using it more in larger builds.  This particular build is almost never going to use the built in switches (it will use an external switcher on the board) so it wouldn't have been worth the added cost for the person who commissioned it.

With the mini builds I do, I'd really like to find a non-click momentary footswitch in the same form factor as a standard vertical footswitch.  The ones we use for FFX are like the Carling style, which won't fit with the full size jacks I use in my 1590A builds.  I'm not a fan of the momentaries with a click (like the Alpha 2PDT and similar).  I suspect the right switch is out there, but I haven't dug very deep.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: pickdropper on October 11, 2018, 11:36:04 AM
I'm not a fan of the momentaries with a click (like the Alpha 2PDT and similar).

I have had at least 5 of these fail on me in builds from BLMS. Funny thing is that when they failed, they failed as latching (no momentary movement)

I do like the tactile response from the momentary click but, just wish I could find more reliable alternatives.

pickdropper

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on October 11, 2018, 01:12:24 PM
I'm not a fan of the momentaries with a click (like the Alpha 2PDT and similar).

I have had at least 5 of these fail on me in builds from BLMS. Funny thing is that when they failed, they failed as latching (no momentary movement)

I do like the tactile response from the momentary click but, just wish I could find more reliable alternatives.

Have you tried the Alpha brand ones from Small Bear?  The knock-off ones I've seen aren't built quite as well.
Function f(x)

p_wats

playpunk

Wow, that's a georgeous build! And I was just briefly believing you about messy wiring, then I remembered who you are and wasn't dissapointed once I scrolled down to the gut shot. That muff board is also pleasingly symmetrical :)

It's a good question.  I have had very few failures with 3PDT switches over the years, so the switch to optical wasn't really worth it to me.  I do prefer relay bypass (we use it in all the FFX pedals) and will likely start using it more in larger builds.  This particular build is almost never going to use the built in switches (it will use an external switcher on the board) so it wouldn't have been worth the added cost for the person who commissioned it.

With the mini builds I do, I'd really like to find a non-click momentary footswitch in the same form factor as a standard vertical footswitch.  The ones we use for FFX are like the Carling style, which won't fit with the full size jacks I use in my 1590A builds.  I'm not a fan of the momentaries with a click (like the Alpha 2PDT and similar).  I suspect the right switch is out there, but I haven't dug very deep.

paging Pickdropper:

https://lovemyswitches.com/super-premium-spdt-momentary-foot-switch-soft-click/

I'm gonna need a little wiring board with Relay Bypass to have the most expensive switching option possible :)
"my legend grows" - playpunk

Ekimneets

Quote from: playpunk on October 11, 2018, 07:12:30 PM

paging Pickdropper:

I'm gonna need a little wiring board with Relay Bypass to have the most expensive switching option possible :)
Ha!

Typo'd from my iphone
Legion of one at Black Octopus Pedalworx.

pickdropper

Quote from: playpunk on October 11, 2018, 07:12:30 PM

paging Pickdropper:

I wish there was a less expensive option, but I will probabaly give that a shot.
Function f(x)

Leevibe

Dang, Dave. You just keep bringin' the heat! We've pretty much run out of superlatives for your builds. This is just beautiful. It's just a beautiful thing to look at, and smartly done too. I like your solution for the switching jacks. I may steal that page from your book. It's much cleaner than open frame tip shunting jacks and all the associated wiring.

MJ_Sound_Cubed

That is a really cool idea :) I really like the way the pots are laid out parallel to each switch :)
♫♪.ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı.♫♪

MJ Sound Cubed
--------------------------------------------
Community driven website to share your work at soundcubed.com