News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Telecaster Bridge Question

Started by peAk, May 28, 2019, 03:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storyboardist

The modern bridge you currently have has the same mounting screw and string-thru holes as the vintage ashtray style. Sometimes the vintage bridge can leave a little of the bridge pickup cavity exposed, but that's not that uncommon with teles (heck, I think that's half the reason Leo put on that cover back in the 50s). I've build probably half a dozen teles from parts and scratch and the best bang for your buck is generally the Wilkinson ashtray with compensated saddles. Generally about $20-25 bucks on eBay and I've yet to have one not intonate properly. There's now one with cut down sides for a bit extra if you like the vintage look but don't like knocking your fingers on the tray sides.
Guy behind Effects Layouts

peAk

Thanks for all the info guys.

I ended up going with the Wilkinson ashtray. It seemed like the best deal to take a chance on. I didnt want to spend too much money then just have to return because it doesnt fit.

It arrived yesterday and it looks to fit like a glove. I plan to set it up today and report back.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

Muadzin

I for the life can't understand the appeal of the vintage ashtray Tele bridge. I don't like the looks of it, but that would be excusable, if it weren't for how it looks like friggin' intonation nightmare. One of life's little mysteries I guess.

alanp

That's cos the three saddle Tele bridge oozes 40s, 50s, tweed amps, and comfortably worn guitars with twang.

That said, for a Tele like a Cabronita, I prefer a six saddle bridge. Then it looks more hot-rod, f--- tradition punk.

This is purely from a stylistic POV, mind.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Muadzin

I've had a three saddle bridge Tele, if that is what the 50's and tweed and twang represent I'll leave that to the dustbin of history. It's 2019, I'll take a six piece saddle any time, thank you very much.

somnif

Quote from: Muadzin on June 04, 2019, 10:52:38 AM
I've had a three saddle bridge Tele, if that is what the 50's and tweed and twang represent I'll leave that to the dustbin of history. It's 2019, I'll take a six piece saddle any time, thank you very much.

Yeah, I really do enjoy being able to tune all 6 of my strings at once. Its rather nice really.

(I'll admit the goofy brass workaround "compensated" saddles come close, but its still irksome at times in my experience, and the differences are minor to the point of invisible after I layer a few pounds of effects work on top)

peAk

The Wilkinson intonated fine. I actually like the way the bridge feels over the modern six saddle one that was there before. My hand rests nicely against the sides.

Muadzin

To each his own. If you're happy with it that's all that matters. To me the ashtray bridge doesn't feel nice and if you think about it its a poor design all the way. It's really designed to be used with that cover plate that nobody ever seems to use. Intonation is harder then with a 6 piece bridge, and if you want to change the pickups you need to remove the entire bridge. Using the six piece hard tail bridge you sometimes see on Strats would make far better sense, and use a different method to install the bridge pickup separately. I reckon that if Leo Fender were to have designed the Tele later in his career he would not have used the ashtray bridge. It's the one thing on this guitar that just doesn't make any sense. That and 21 fret necks.