News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New builds: Sparkplug, Kingslayer, Grind Custom's Chimaera

Started by Geosh, September 24, 2012, 12:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geosh

Built a couple new pedals and thought I would show them off. The Kingslayer is AMAZING!! The Sparkplug is also a fantastic sounding build. I recommend both if you havent got them already. My friend has a real Klon and I am going to compare the Kingslayer, Klon, and Chimaera (KLONe) soon. Should be fun. Between the Chimaera and the Kingslayer though, it is the Kingslayer all the way.

Kingslayer:

Sparkplug:

Chimaera:

madbean

Excellent work all-around! Is that the Jack Deville bypass on your Chimera?

GrindCustoms

Nice work mate! ;)

I guess i'll have to build the KingSlayer i have here........must here it by myself! :)

Quote from: madbean on September 24, 2012, 02:00:44 AMIs that the Jack Deville bypass on your Chimera?

That's also what i was wondering....
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Geosh

Quote from: madbean on September 24, 2012, 02:00:44 AM
Excellent work all-around! Is that the Jack Deville bypass on your Chimera?

Why yes it is. I am a big fan of those switches. I would have them in all my builds but they aren't cheap.

juansolo

Have to admit that I've built and rocked the Kingslayer (but not yet boxed) and I love it. Noticably more headroom than the Klones and a slightly thicker tone. I certainly prefer it.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

nzCdog

midwayfair

Very nice Griffin you've got there! Can I ask what the finish is?

Your guts are super tidy in the Sparkplug. Were you going to show us what's hiding in the others? :)

Geosh

Quote from: midwayfair on September 24, 2012, 12:42:20 PM
Very nice Griffin you've got there! Can I ask what the finish is?

Your guts are super tidy in the Sparkplug. Were you going to show us what's hiding in the others? :)

The Chimaera box is powdercoated in metallic silver with a waterslide decal for the logo. Then just clear over the top. I will take gut shots of the other two after work today and add them. The Kingslayer is nice and tidy as well. The Chimaera is a little messier since there were a lot more exposed wires to route.

Geosh

Quote from: GrindCustoms on September 24, 2012, 02:05:20 AM
Nice work mate! ;)

I guess i'll have to build the KingSlayer i have here........must here it by myself! :)

Well I had the pleasure of getting to play them both with a real Klon last night, and I finally got to try all 3 with some volume.

The Grind Customs build just about holds its own next to the real thing. I was able to get convincingly close to the sound of the real Klon, but the real one had ever so slightly more low-mids in the sound than the Chimera did. However, this was VERY minimal and both sounded absolutely killer. I have new respect for the Klon (not $1000 respect, but it is a nice pedal).

The Kingslayer is in deed a different sound to it, but in the same league as the Klon. It is a little fatter and a little brighter without as much of the mids that the Klon has. I like the clipping options and can get some killer tones out of it, but I have an appreciation for the Klon (and Chimera) because I liked being limited on my options a little. I only had 3 knobs and was able to dial in a VERY good sound pretty quickly.

All in all, both are great builds.

eldanko

www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

Stig

Cool that you had the opportunity to try out a real Klon and compare it to the chimaera.
I'm actually waiting for the chimaera to be shipped atm, can't wait.
I really like what you did with the graphics on the chimaera. Very nice.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: Stig on September 25, 2012, 06:01:31 PM
Cool that you had the opportunity to try out a real Klon and compare it to the chimaera.

It have been shipped last week with your other boards  :)

Rej

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Stig

Really! That's nice to hear.
Really looking forward to receiving them :-)

Geosh

Quote from: Stig on September 25, 2012, 06:01:31 PM

Thanks a lot! Yeah, the guy who owns the Klon is actually a friend of a friend. He just got a new board put together and it has a LOT of great stuff on it (Timmy, Klon, Strymon Timeline, Flint, & El Capistan, couple JHS pedals). Needless to say, I had a lot of fun last night and I got to prove the KLONe is pretty legit.

GrindCustoms

Just in order to support what Geosh mentionned:

I will have more boards available soon awell ;)