News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sea Urchin Delay ... second pedal build

Started by brucer, February 03, 2014, 06:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brucer

I've been a forum lurker here for about 6 months.  I've seen a lot of amazing pedal builds posted, complex and clean.  They set the bar pretty high.  Here's my first attempt at a Madbean build and my second pedal build overall:  a Sea Urchin Delay with tap tempo using a Haberdasher-etched Sea Urchin PCB with a JMK PCB's Modulating Taptation board.  No the gutshot isn't too pretty, but maybe it'll give some hope to my fellow beginners out there.    If I can do it, anyone can!

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the pedal.  The only other delay I've ever had is a Keely-modded Boss DD-3.  This seems pretty hi-fi compared to that - especially with humbuckers - but this is less noticeable with single coils.  It also sounds almost like a reverb plus delay instead of just delay, again less so with single coils.  I'm curious if other builders have noticed this.

Tap tempo delays are pretty pricey for me, especially as a novice guitar player.  I don't think I ever would have had one if I didn't build it myself.  It's been fun playing with this pedal.  The dotted 8th setting make me sound like the Edge! ... if he played slower and made lot's of mistakes.  LOL

It started up pretty well ... after I remembered to insert the IC's (yep, I really am a beginner).  There was quite a lot of pop when stomped on until I put 1 M resistors on the in/out jacks.  It also stopped working after a few weeks (no repeats), but came back to life when I put a jumper across pins 3 and 4 of the PT2399 IC.  I wouldn't have known to do any of this without the Madbean forum.  Thanks to all.

Haberdasher

hey that's great for a second build.  it's way more ambitious than i would have been on mine.
cheers
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

billstein

Really nice first build and forgetting to put in the IC... You'll probably never outgrow that. :)

danwelsh

It'll be the first of many....trust me its highly addictive. well done, nice build

selfdestroyer

Great looking build and I think you are on to an awesome start with this addiction/hobby. You got the waterslides down to an art. I still can't get mine constantly looking good so I just avoid them.

Cody

alanp

If you don't put the IC in backwards at least once, then you're doing better than me! And I couldn't get the taptation working :(

Great work, the wiring might be a wee bit mucky but it's still a fairly well laid out pedal :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

stevie1556

Looks great bud, especially for a second build. Give yourself a pat on the back :)

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

bcalla

That's excellent work!  Some other testing snafus you will probably run into (if you are anything like me):
- No 9v source plugged in
- 9v bench supply plugged in, but not on
- forgetting to connect 1 or more wires (in, out, power, ground)
- forgetting that you unplugged your guitar from the in jack while you corrected one of the above

I could go on...

PhiloB

Great job! How do you like the modulation on the JMK tap?  I'm thinking of going this route with a Hamlet Delay board I have.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Gledison

Hey, great pedal man! i've just finished mine recently and i love it. no tap tempo thou :(
looking forward to see your third pedal!
cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

Hexjibber

Hey great build man, nice work! I had a question, is it possible to add the JMK tap pcb to any delay build do you know?

PhiloB

brucer

Hey PhiloB.

Quote from: PhiloB on February 03, 2014, 03:17:28 PM
Great job! How do you like the modulation on the JMK tap?  I'm thinking of going this route with a Hamlet Delay board I have.

I really like the JMK modulating taptation.  I've generally been leaving it on just a bit (around 8-o'clock on the dial) to take the edge off the "hi-fi" sound of the delay.  I'd definitely recommend it.  Jacob of JMK was also really great about answering my newbie questions (about leaving off a resistor and pot).

Bruce.

brucer

Hi Hexjibber.

Quote from: Hexjibber on February 03, 2014, 08:28:24 PM
Hey great build man, nice work! I had a question, is it possible to add the JMK tap pcb to any delay build do you know?

Thanks for the kind words.  I thought A LOT before posting.  Most of the build reports here look like pieces of art!  Mine ... not so much, but it works AND sounds good!  I think PhiloB's got you covered with the link to jmkpcbs.  The build doc has instructions on how to add the modulating taptation to several popular DIY delays.  I'd just say again that Jacob at JMK (no affiliation) was super helpful.  I'd recommend you send him an email if you have any questions after reading the build doc.

Bruce.