News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Run Off Groove Omega

Started by davent, February 20, 2013, 02:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortexturizer

This...is insane. Fantastic job man, I salute to you.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

hoodoo

I f@#king love this mate,true work of art. I've never seen another pedal with this effect, copper covered?
Very cool, Matt

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

2tonewarrior

pickdropper

That is absolutely fantastic.  Very impressive.

Looks like a pedal from the City of Lost Children.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

davent

Hello guys/gals(?), Thanks for kind words!

Pretty simple really and i'll add here not sure how well this finish will stand up to abuse but in this case some abuse would give it some character.

Tools; aluminum duct tape, embossing wheel, steel rule, heavy razor knife, cutting matt and India Ink. You cut out a well-squared, random sized rectangle of aluminum tape, 'rivet' the perimeter with the embossing wheel working on top of the soft cutting matt, peel the back off the tape and stick it to the enclosure. Continue cutting, embossing and sticking until the enclosure is covered, that's it.. then you get to play.

Added more texture to the individual panels by pressing files and rasps into the tape, used the thread of screws and bolts to leave an impression, hammer and a nail, anything handy that would leave an impression in the tape. Rolling a round rasp over the tape left an interesting pattern, used that for the back. The punching of letters was nasty, the Hammond enclosure was much harder then expected and needed a far harder whack to leave a good imprint then i was willing to deliver. Should have done the lettering to the tape before putting that panel on the box. At this point burnished the tape down with a brayer to ensure good contact with the enclosure.

Once textured, painted it all over with India Ink, let it dry a bit then wiped it off with paper towel, do that a few times until you get what you want. At this point i'll do an "isolation" clearcoat with a mix of GAC200/Airbrush Medium to protect the ink layer so if i don't like what goes on next i can hopefully remove it without messing up the earlier efforts. (The first go round i reached a point where i didn't like how it was going so used acetone and a scrub brush to take it back to the undressed tape.) After the ink-  it's paint  splatter, stencil, stamp, rub the paint around with your fingers, wipe it off before it's totally dried, (working one colour at a time let it dry before doing another so you don't get mud.. unless of course that's what's called for), sand it chew it up some more, there's some very old dried out dry transfers buried on there, anything goes really... Lots of isolation coats done through the colouring process.

Knobs and bezel thrown in a can of screws and bolts, shaken up, not enough damage so used files and sandpaper to chew things up more. Follow that with the India Ink treatment. Those bits and the enclosure are lacquered.

Switch plunger-cap got the abuse and India Ink.
Brass hardware, ammonia fumed.
Switch's and jacks' nuts/washers, propane torched.

Thanks guys!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

culturejam

Good god. That's amazing.

I'm going to need more of a primer to work with embossing wheels and metal tape. I've got no foundation in that medium.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

slimtriggers

That is the most bad ass enclosure I think I've ever seen  :o 

alanp

I think you're the only other person who uses india ink on this board :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

GrindCustoms

Holy Fawking Jesus Fry!!!! :o

I'm in love with that enclosure!
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

neiloler

Does India ink wear well? It seems like you could get more mileage out of it by using a little bit of enchant here as there to rough up the surface so that the ink has more surface area to bind to...?
OLERAudio - Sole proprietor, engineer, and goofball

davent

Thanks again folks!

Quote from: neiloler on February 21, 2013, 03:37:21 PM
Does India ink wear well? It seems like you could get more mileage out of it by using a little bit of enchant here as there to rough up the surface so that the ink has more surface area to bind to...?

Wouldn't wear well if left unprotected so worked well in this instance since i was wiping off most from the slick foil just wanting it to remain behind in the various divots and physical impressions i'd made. Dumped over a bottle on the workbench and that's wearing well as the bench sucked it up like sponge. Once the isolation coat was added (GAC200)  over the ink, any new inking does bind well and is not very easy to remove. All the inked/painted surfaces are protected with the usual lacquer so i expect they'll be fine but never tried this before so will have to wait and see.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Quote from: alanp on February 21, 2013, 03:26:12 PM

How do you go about using it? I'd only ever used it, before this pedal, with dip pens to try and label and that's going to require more practice/play. So far seems i need to wait until lacquering to do ink, ontop of acrylics it spreads and seeps so you lose the controlled lines.
dave

stecykmi

Quote from: davent on February 22, 2013, 01:38:55 AM
Quote from: alanp on February 21, 2013, 03:26:12 PM

How do you go about using it? I'd only ever used it, before this pedal, with dip pens to try and label and that's going to require more practice/play. So far seems i need to wait until lacquering to do ink, ontop of acrylics it spreads and seeps so you lose the controlled lines.
dave

watercolour painting?

also, nice to see another Ontarian on the board. 

alanp

I simply paint and write with it, then once it's dry (completely dry, it will run otherwise) hit it with clear nailpolish. (If you touch it before it dries, even to add more, it will then run. It's touchy.) Clear rattlecan is also a go-er, but I can't seem to do that without the clearcoat cracking.

Another method I use is to engrave the enclosure with the dremel, and paint in the grooves with India Ink, no clearcoat needed.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website