News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need help with board mounted pot selection

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, December 18, 2016, 06:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

I am looking to use board mounted pots with a project. The PCB will have a 26mm Alpha enclosed rotary switch soldered to it like this one:

Do I need to use the standard right angle pin pots like these?

OR... do I need the LONG pin version like these?

dbp512

I believe the regular pots will be fine. If thats the same type of rotary as the multiplex uses, its only a bit taller than the regular length pcb pots. I've never actually used the long pins so I can't comment for sure, but I remember other users here saying that they are really damn long.
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

matmosphere

There is a good explanation in the BOM for the 1776 Multiplex that explains how to use the standard right angle pots with that type of switch.

davent

Just go with standard lugged pots and pieces of solid core wire to diy your perfect length pcb mount pot.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: davent on December 18, 2016, 07:35:36 PM
Just go with standard lugged pots and pieces of solid core wire to diy your perfect length pcb mount pot.

dave

This is sort of what I usually do. I typically use solder lug pots and solder on resistor lead bits to extend them. I wanted to use a sturdier approach this time but wanted to get a consult before purchasing.

Ill look into the Multiplexer BOM. Thanks for the tip Mat  ;)

davent

I've used 20awg and 22awg wires, the 20awg makes for a beast of a connection, the 22awg allows easier wandering, creative pot placement and still pretty decent support.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

pickdropper

FWIW, with the FFX Clusterfuzz, we use standard board mount pots but we had to do a separate PCB/header arrangement for the rotary because it is taller than the Alpha 16mm pots.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper