News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The useless pedal list

Started by micromegas, January 29, 2015, 12:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micromegas

I used to think there wasn't such a thing as a useless pedal, that you could use anything to create music... until I met this:

Is there any other pedal out there you think has no practical use?
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Cortexturizer

I think that this can develop into a fun and interesting topic full of conflicting opinions :)

for example, I think that the Miku pedal is extremely awesome and would love to use it through tons of effects or as a head turner in the middle of a blues solo for that bb king teleported to japan infamous effect.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

micromegas

Quote from: Cortexturizer on January 29, 2015, 12:46:30 PM
for example, I think that the Miku pedal is extremely awesome and would love to use it through tons of effects or as a head turner in the middle of a blues solo for that bb king teleported to japan infamous effect.

;D It is not about what it does, it is about how bad it does what it does.

Cortexturizer

excuse me do you have Japanese ears mister? :P who knows, it might sound fantastic to people from J. If it was like 70$ I would buy it without thinking. You put a Klon clone with diodes you paid 20$ for and this pedal next to it and watch the guitar world clash as if you'd divided by zero.

I did however find some pedals more or less useless for me personally, I've had a chance at playing a moog low pass filter with my setup and my gear, and couldn't squeeze one good sound out of it. it might have been broken or something
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

micromegas

Quote from: Cortexturizer on January 29, 2015, 01:00:45 PM
I've had a chance at playing a moog low pass filter with my setup and my gear, and couldn't squeeze one good sound out of it. it might have been broken or something
Isn't that blasphemy?  :D

Quote from: Cortexturizer on January 29, 2015, 01:00:45 PM
You put a Klon clone with diodes you paid 20$ for and this pedal next to it and watch the guitar world clash as if you'd divided by zero.
We should do some shirts with this phrase. Anyway, I don't really think the Korg pedal has enough good tracking to follow the delicated, refined distortion curve produced by those OA126s ....  :P

(This is my post number 909 btw, nice number)

Muadzin

I can hear Otaku guitar players worldwide creaming in their pants as I type this. And I'm currently two floors under ground. Marty Friedman would probably get a whole pedal board full of them. I wouldn't consider this pedal completely useless, it might make for a fun one trick pony. That is until Otaku guitar players world wide start abusing it to the same degree as hip ho[ and R&B singers are abusing the auto tune.

As for useless pedals, for me at least compressors are useless. Every time I try one I throw it off my board right away in disgust.

midwayfair

There is no useless technology, only a failure of imagination.

micromegas

Quote from: midwayfair on January 29, 2015, 03:07:09 PM
+1 I knew there was going to be controversy when I posted this, but I totally agree with your point.
However, I was talking about practical use. Praxis and creativity don't have to be always together, but when they do, the result can be amazing. Nevertheless, when a tool is too deterministic it can kill the creativiy process making diversity a thing of the past.

playpunk

This pedal is not useless. It is hilarious.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

oldhousescott

Perhaps not useless, but in the "really, really bad" category, I nominate:

-- DOD Grunge pedal (not the later Digitech unit, although it's pretty bad too)
-- Danelectro Sitar Swami

pickdropper

Exactly.  Nothing is truly without use.

For example, take my old Boss DS-1.  It two very specific uses:

1.)  It serves as a warning to other pedal designers

2.)  It would be good as a projectile in a Trainspotting style bar fight.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Matt

Quote from: pickdropper on January 29, 2015, 06:05:25 PM

Exactly.  Nothing is truly without use.

For example, take my old Boss DS-1.  It two very specific uses:

1.)  It serves as a warning to other pedal designers

This made me laugh
Matt

RobA

I can't say much about the pedal itself, but the Vocaloid synthesis stuff it's based on is pretty impressive. My son had some demo software of it awhile back and I was pretty blown away by what can be done with it. I do remember seeing the announcement for the pedal in Japan and kinda thinking "what?" Still, I don't think the video is really showing it to its best abilities. I thought that you could enter your own phrases with a computer or smartphone link. And, tracking depends on what the intended usage is. So, the pedal may be better than it seems. I will say though that I've got absolutely zero use for it.

Here's a link to the Wiki article about the technology behind the thing, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocaloid
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

selfdestroyer

Quote from: pickdropper on January 29, 2015, 06:05:25 PM

"And the game was mine"

Cody

pickdropper

Cody, that was exactly the part I was thinking off.  Pretty fast on the Photoshop there.  Nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper