News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Voltage Doubler

Started by TreeSlayer, June 27, 2013, 12:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreeSlayer

i'm building a Supreaux Deux, and i've discovered that it's an 18v board. the BOM was just that. a BOM and a schematic. there was a cap that was labled CX and no info on it. after finding the actual build doc, i read "Perhaps the simplest supply alternative consists in a pair of 9V batteries connected in series. A voltage doubler built around a MAX1044 or equivalent will also work fine, provided the clock frequency is above the audio range." well, the battery fix is not what i want, and the statement was all i found. no suggestions on to build one "around a MAX1044", and how will i know if the "clock frequency" is above the audio range?
"At the line it's just you, me and the tree." the TreeSlayer

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

RobA

The Road Rage board will do what you need.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/RoadRage/docs/RoadRage.pdf

Just pay attention to the IC's that it suggests in the doc.

I built a Supreaux Deux. Very cool little effect. I actually use it as a direct in to my computer and then put an EQ on it to emulate a speaker cab. It works really well. I power mine from the 18V supply on my DC brick.

I have built a couple of the Road Rage boards though for other pedals and they work great.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

TreeSlayer

Quote from: RobA on June 27, 2013, 01:34:37 AM
The Road Rage board will do what you need.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/RoadRage/docs/RoadRage.pdf

Just pay attention to the IC's that it suggests in the doc.

I built a Supreaux Deux. Very cool little effect. I actually use it as a direct in to my computer and then put an EQ on it to emulate a speaker cab. It works really well. I power mine from the 18V supply on my DC brick.

I have built a couple of the Road Rage boards though for other pedals and they work great.
thanks a million! I can plug 9v into RoadRage and get 18v out? I don't have an 18v "brick" that you speak of...

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

RobA

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Cx cap. It's a salt to taste kinda thing. I'd socket it. Their schematic suggests 2.2 to 10nF. I can't remember what I ended up using there.

One other thing is that since I EQ it in the computer for the cab sim, I left off the 22k and 1n5 filter on the output. It works better to not EQ it before I EQ it.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

RobA

Quote from: TreeSlayer on June 27, 2013, 01:38:43 AM
thanks a million! I can plug 9v into RoadRage and get 18v out? I don't have an 18v "brick" that you speak of...

Yeah, one of the configurations of the Road Rage is 9V in and 18V out. It's pretty versatile.

The DC Brick is just one of the Power Bricks from Dunlop. Pretty average as far as it goes, but it does have an 18V out. But, I've started moving to just using charge pumps for everything that needs 18V or dual rails. It'll make the conversion to one of the new big rechargeable 9V supplies easier when they drop to a reasonable price.

TreeSlayer

Quote from: RobA on June 27, 2013, 01:39:54 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Cx cap. It's a salt to taste kinda thing. I'd socket it. Their schematic suggests 2.2 to 10nF. I can't remember what I ended up using there.

One other thing is that since I EQ it in the computer for the cab sim, I left off the 22k and 1n5 filter on the output. It works better to not EQ it before I EQ it.
i wish i'da done just that now! i put an 8n2 in because there demos had it in and it really sounded pretty good over my computer speakers. oh well. thanks for the help! if you need anything, like a couple of pieces or parts, i have a fair inventory. i love to trade, whether it be part for part or info for part. it's rare that it's sell anything. there's nothing worse than coming up short a couple of resistors or an unusual cap at the last minute.

thanks a million!
Layton

RobA

Glad I could help and thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind. I hope you like the effect when you get the 18V on it. It's got me thinking that I'm going to eventually have to DIY an actual Supro clone some day.

saxoftenest

Hey TS - Is this one of the boards from my group buy? If so, the charge pump (taking 9V and creating 18V) is already on the board.