News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbaby - nightmare build # 745

Started by madbean, March 10, 2015, 11:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

This was a nightmare build because of a lot of stupidity on my part.
-----------------------------------------
Had a great stick on label with Envirotex - some bubbles but nothing terrible.
Decided to try fine sanding bubbles which only served to take the shiny finish off.
Chose to forge ahead but soon realized why I should have drilled the enclosure BEFORE Envirotex. Ruined entire damn thing.
Decided to sand off finish and artwork and go for a more reliced enclosure.
Transferred artwork to PCB plate.
Top finish kept getting dust in it so I sanded it back. I like the results cause now the plate is sanded like the enclosure. You can't tell from this pic, though.
Installed the damn 3PDT on the wrong side of the 3PRR cause I was not paying attention to what I was doing (not a big deal...it is symmetric).
-----------------------------------------

Anyway, all told I started this build like 3 months ago and now it is finally done. It was worth it...this is my favorite delay of all the ones I've designed/built over the last 10 years or so. It just sits right where it needs in the spectrum of guitar tone, IMO. And, I'm not saying that to sell more boards...I genuinely love it. The 9v/18v is subtle, but there is just a bit more girth and upper mids in the through-signal which I like.

- BTW -  We are working on a 'deluxed' version of this for production through FFX....shhh. That's a secret.

studiodunn

Looks great..............and It's so reassuring to know the gurus still have snafus.

I'm constantly amazed at how seemless one project can be........followed by a nightmare.

pickdropper

I really like the asymmetrical plate.  Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

selfdestroyer

Very cool Brian, and I agree with you about favorite delay. The Dirtbaby & the Multiplex is all I ever need.... for now. lol Because of these 2 delays I use my Timeline 60% of the time just for looping. The cut away space on the face plate came out great and unique.

Cody

cooder

Great stuff! Really need to get me one of those! Or two... ;)
BigNoise Amplification

jimilee

Wait...is that different from the sparkle horn???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

rullywowr

Now, put it in a 1550P!  Jk. Looks awesome, that plate is killer. 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

culturejam

Way to power through and get 'er done.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

gaffled

Nice build.  Where did you get those knobs, I need ten of those exact ones but can't find them in clear.  Mike

Stomptown

Dude!  8)  That faceplate is just sick!

lars

Who else immediately went to to the projects page to check this out? I love delay pedals, and this one is definitly on the radar. Great job all around, mainly for having the mad skills to come up with projects like this, let alone make them look great too!

TGP39

Looks great Brian. This is a superior circuit in every way. I will be building this in the near future. I'm really excited for Function Fx as well.

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

m-Kresol

nicely done, Brian. Your work paid off for sure
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Cortexturizer

incredible stuff. I am so excited about the "shhh" part as well, I wish you the best of luck!
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

micromegas

Beautiful Brian! I dig the "ruined" box. Hard to appreciate because of the light colour, but once you see them, the sanded sides make it even more appealing.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io