News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Belated NAD - MJW

Started by juansolo, March 12, 2015, 05:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Finally getting around to posting the NAD that actually occurred about a month ago for various reasons. Anyhow, here it is around at Cleggy's while we were doing some experimentage with cabs and speakers. The new amp is the MJW Amplification Roadstar 18 atop what shall henceforth be known as: the Cab of Legend (as it just sounds awesome no matter what we plug into it. 2x10 loaded with Eminence 1028K Legends). It has power scaling, a loop and all the usual bells and whistles. It's bloody awesome quite frankly.

Also as a result of the experimentage today, Cleggy's 1x12 now has the Gold out of the Laney 2x12 and that's back to having a pair of G12H Heritages in it.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

culturejam

You should get some nice amps and cabs.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

cooder

What a nice group shot!
Drool.... 8)
BigNoise Amplification

selfdestroyer

Crazy awesome, That blue Laney is beautiful.

Cody

juansolo

The Laney and the Martamp (long story*) are Cleggy's. I've got a Princeton MJW clone that matches the 2x10 and a little 1x10 MJW power amp combo for the valve pedals ;)

*Martin used to work for Matamp, then went it alone... Martamp was a little too close to Matamp really, so changed it to MJW...

jkokura

I'm thinking about one of those Lionheart amps. They have a new 5W desktop recording version coming (announced at NAMM). I'd like the 25W Mesa Mark V recording head, but the Lionheart looks more affordable.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

juansolo

Quote from: jkokura on March 12, 2015, 08:47:45 PM
I'm thinking about one of those Lionheart amps. They have a new 5W desktop recording version coming (announced at NAMM). I'd like the 25W Mesa Mark V recording head, but the Lionheart looks more affordable.

Jacob

Cleggy's is the 20W version. It's very nice indeed with a very distinctive voice. There are only a couple of downsides to it for me. It can be picky when it comes to pedals and the reverb is dire. Otherwise, it's a superb sounding thing. Very different to a Mesa though.

jubal81

So yeah, I'm kinda jealous.
Nice addition!
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

micromegas

Quote from: jkokura on March 12, 2015, 08:47:45 PM

Jacob
The 25W Mark V is awesome and quite cheap compared with competitors (but more expensive that the Lionheart).
Not that youtube is the best place to check how an amp sounds, but for what I've heard in some videos, the clean sound nails the one my Mark III has, and with El84s! I really think Mesa has done a great work shrinking a great beast as the mark with different valves and everything and making it sound really similar.

Carvin V3M is a great valve head too. I only use one channel amps (well, Mark III is three... but I only use the cleanest one and they all share eq), but a friend of mine has one and it¡s awesome for the price.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

alanp

You wouldn't fit in on my other guitar forum, Juan -- the formula there is sell ALL the old amps to fund the new one, and then moan once you have the new one (and the old one is long gone).
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

AntKnee

The amps are waybcool, but I am really digging that carpet and wallpaper. ;D
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

pickdropper

Very nice group there!

It's always nice to have a nice mix of amps.  Too bad they take so much space.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

cooder

Quote from: AntKnee on March 13, 2015, 01:29:43 AM
Yorkshire.... it's a time warp....
BigNoise Amplification

juansolo

Quote from: cooder on March 13, 2015, 02:10:07 AM
Quote from: AntKnee on March 13, 2015, 01:29:43 AM
Yorkshire.... it's a time warp....

Cleggy has a very Yorkshire view to decorating... Does it cover the walls? Yes. Is it knackered? No. Then why spend money replacing it... ;)

FWIW, the sofa in that room is pink. You can barely see it for the amount of pedal building crap on it, but all the same, it's a pink sofa.

juansolo

Quote from: pickdropper on March 13, 2015, 01:50:49 AM
Very nice group there!

It's always nice to have a nice mix of amps.  Too bad they take so much space.

This is my biggest problem. I just don't have the space at home. Hence for the Roadstar to come in, a combo had to go out.

I'm still undecided what to do with the power-amp combo as at the moment it's in the bottom of a cupboard with two helmets, a nerf gun and a shelf on top of it... Oh and a load of bags... :(

If I can sell the power, I might set Martin on the Doomhead idea*

*Was discussing the possibility of making a Matamp GT1-a-like that can run at sensible (ie 20W sort of level with power scaling) vols. But still get it's doom on.

One option is to get a Bantam head which means I could swap the amps over giving be a power head and a Bantam combo (essentially a mini-dominator). Still tempted by this in all honesty as it'd give me more options should I need to sell something.

Still want the doomhead though...