News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

how would i do this mod to the green bean

Started by danwelsh, December 10, 2013, 03:58:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwelsh

Hi guys, I have the green bean built and working but I want to have a led to light up for each diode switching when switching from one set of clipping to the other(2 LEDs-switch to the left left led lights. to the right right led and in the middle both off).....how would I tackle this?

Stomptown

If you want all 3 clipping options (clip 1/none/clip 2). you will need to use a 3P4T and a Bi-colored LED to execute this mod. That means you will need a 3p4t rotary switch. If you really want this mod on the Green Bean you will probably have to use a 1590BB enclosure or bigger .

I shared a PCB project for this exact mod through Oshpark. It is only different in that it uses a tri-colored LED. If you want to use a bi-colored led it wont be a problem. Just leave L2 unpopulated and use L1/L3 for the annodes on the LED. This way the LED will turn off in the "none" mode. If you want to order one from Oshpark they are about $6 for 3 copies. You don't have to use a PCB but the wiring is a real mess if you don't. Here is the link to the shared project. All you have to do is set up an account and order them (they take paypal):

http://oshpark.com/shared_projects/RPgVw4io

and here is the build doc for the project:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_GM88jXYKryRjZ1YTZyTExlLU0/edit?pli=1

The project also includes a single-sided version for etching. You could use that as well or just follow the schematic to wire up directly to the 3p4t switch (like I said, a HUGE PITA!).

Hope this helps! Hit me up with a PM if you have any Q's...

Cheers,
Jon

danwelsh

Stomptown

gjcamann

@stomptown
What library do you use for your layouts - I like your pad sizes.

Stomptown

I have been using a mix between the madbean 2012 and 2011 libraries. The 2012 library has everything I use except the supply pins which I use from his older library. Once u delve into bias I will probably use the 2012 library exclusively. If you want the libraries I can email them to you. Let me know!

DutchMF

Couldn't this be done with just a DPDT on/off/on switch? The GB uses a spst tot switching the diodes, you'd just need an extra pole for the led (or leds), the off position would take care of itself.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Stomptown

I think your right!  ::)  I originally misread the post and thought that he intended to use a tri-colored LED which would require the rotary (I think), but I don't see any reason that wouldn't work. It would save a whole lot of space as well...

danwelsh

I tried with the dpdt switch but the LEDs was on all the time.....in both positions...?

DutchMF

Did you use an on/off/on switch? Sounds to me you used an on/on switch, which doesn't give you the 'no diodes' option and also always lights one of the LED colors.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

danwelsh

Quote from: DutchMF on December 31, 2013, 05:03:02 PM
Did you use an on/off/on switch? Sounds to me you used an on/on switch, which doesn't give you the 'no diodes' option and also always lights one of the LED colors.

Paul

Yes....I actually broke the original spdt so I replaced it with a dpdt on/off/on and have the other 3 pins hanging over the outside edge of the PCB. But I wired the LED like this.....from the 9volt supply 4.7k resistor,led, then to one of the extra pins on the outside edge. Tried both outer pins with the same thing , it would light in either direction.... Maybe I wired it wrong did I?....my clipping works fine.

Stomptown

What is going on with the center lug between the two LED annodes? I'm guessing the middle lug is currently connected to ground right? Try connecting a wire from that center lug to the lug on the 3pdt footswitch you would typically connect to the bypass LED. This will lift the ground connection when the pedal is in bypass and turn off the LEDs.