News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

4-Knob Compressor on Vero..

Started by Bassman, December 08, 2012, 03:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassman

Finished this one up last week. It is a Keeley 4-knob Compressor.  The layout is from IvIark and it sounds spot on with the original.

Was a bit of a squeeze to get it into a 1590B but it all fit.  This is the first time using a pre-painted enclosure from Mammoth and I might do that again sometime.

Pics..

Now I just have 2 more of these to build and ship out then I can finish up my 4 in 1 modulation station :D

jimilee

Beautiful build man. I don't know why,but I love compressors.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

Very nice looking build. And metal can mojo to boot!

That finish is really nice, too.

nzCdog

hammerheadmusicman

Sweet looking build!! This is on my 'very near future builds' list! Does th metal can actually make any sonic difference? It quite obviously looks sexy, but does it sound or play differently? As I already have some of NOS 'DIL' package ones..

Also, how does it sound? I've been lusting after a keeley 4 knob for a few years now, and came across the vero layout about a week ago.

Thanks

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

TheCobbenator

Sick build! I built mine from this layout a few months ago and love it. Squeezed a clean blend in mine as well. Love it!

Bassman

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on December 08, 2012, 02:35:18 PM
Sweet looking build!! This is on my 'very near future builds' list! Does th metal can actually make any sonic difference? It quite obviously looks sexy, but does it sound or play differently? As I already have some of NOS 'DIL' package ones..

Also, how does it sound? I've been lusting after a keeley 4 knob for a few years now, and came across the vero layout about a week ago.

Thanks

George

It sounds great really.  Suprisingly clean (and I tested it with dirty power and a cheap cable).    As for the metal can.. I have no Idea if it sounds any different than the plastic container.  These are what I had on hand lol. 

Thanks guys!  Time for coffee then I need to fire up the iron and finish up 2 more of these.

v00d00blues79

Sweet build!  I have one of these on deck to build.  What values did you use for the 150k pots?

Thanks,

Andy

Bassman

Quote from: v00d00blues79 on December 09, 2012, 03:29:09 PM
Sweet build!  I have one of these on deck to build.  What values did you use for the 150k pots?

Thanks,

Andy

I used B250K pots and a 330K resistor on lugs 1&3.  It got me to around 142K.  When you build yours play around with the transistors too.  The build docs say to use 2N5088's but I found that to get it to work like the demo vids of the Keeley the values should be ..

Q1 & Q2 MPSA18's matched around 940hfe

Q3 & Q4 2N5088 matched around 340hfe

Q5 2N5089 around 600. 

I think the matching is more important that the hfe rating though so like I said,  try a bunch out till it sounds right.  Loads of squish on tap with this one.

v00d00blues79

Thanks!  Need to start getting the parts pulled together now.

Andy

TheCobbenator

Dang! I used really obscure values and came up with exactly 150k I think. I may have to crack it open and look for future reference. Hmmm...