News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbag pot layout for PPP drill instructions

Started by Chi_Boy, January 08, 2012, 02:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chi_Boy

I've been experimenting with having PPP drill and powder coat enclosures and would like to try again with the Dirtbag.  This is my first project that is using board mounted pots though, and the layout isn't exactly symmetrical, so I though I would ask for some help to verify dimensions.   

I tried using Eagle to mock up the pot positions, but things weren't lining up for me.  It looks like the pots in Eagle are different from the Dirtbag layout by about 0.1," so everything was off by a bit.  So I just pulled the dimensions from the drill template in the instructions. 

Would you guys mind taking a look to see if these look right?  And how critical is the positioning of the holes?  Is there some leeway to be had, or does it need to be spot on?

mysticwhiskey

I used these pots: http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=692

For these pots, the offset of the terminals from the center of the pot is 16.5mm.

My drilling layout dimensions differ from yours, the biggest difference is the offset of the pot holes from the top of the pedal (mine is much less than yours) - I'll post a picture & dimensions of my layout in a little bit.

mysticwhiskey

Here's mine - the pots are about 5mm closer to the top of the enclosure, but that's probably not a big deal.  I just went as close as I could to the wall of the enclosure to save as much space as I could.

I don't think the positions of the holes are submillimeter-critical, especially if you solder the pots after drilling the holes.  When you place the pots in the PCB pads, there's a bit of play before soldering.  I drilled my holes at 7mm (pretty much the same as 9/32") and this gives a bit more room to move as well.

I think your dimensions look OK to me - I guess you could always drill the holes in a piece of plastic or wood and test-fit everything before soldering the pots and switch.

Edit: I completely overlooked the fact there's a drilling template in the build doc, and this has a larger gap between the PCB and the top of the enclosure.  I guess this is needed if you're mounting the DC jack at the top to give some clearance.  I'll shut up now (where's the embarassed smiley icon...)

Chi_Boy

Thanks Mystic.  Looks like we're different by 1-1/2mm at most.  I'm sure that's close enough.  The legs can surely bend that far without any alignment issues.

I was mostly concerned with the pots anyway.  I think I'll run with it and see what happens.

Thanks again.

pickdropper

Quote from: Chi_Boy on January 08, 2012, 04:49:48 PM
Thanks Mystic.  Looks like we're different by 1-1/2mm at most.  I'm sure that's close enough.  The legs can surely bend that far without any alignment issues.

I was mostly concerned with the pots anyway.  I think I'll run with it and see what happens.

Thanks again.

If that layout works, would you mind if I used it for ordering from PPP?
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Chi_Boy

Quote from: pickdropper on January 14, 2012, 06:12:00 PM
Quote from: Chi_Boy on January 08, 2012, 04:49:48 PM

Thanks again.

If that layout works, would you mind if I used it for ordering from PPP?

Not at all.  Glad to help.  The attached is actually the order form I use with PPP.  They haven't complained and I get what I want, so  I guess it works.

pickdropper

Thanks a lot, Chi-Boy.

That should work great.  At this point, I'd rather spend my free time building pedals than doing graphic layouts.   ;D
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper