News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Spare enclosure screws?

Started by das234, April 26, 2014, 12:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

das234

I know I can't be the only one to misplace a tiny enclosure screw now and then.  Anyone have a good source for spare screws?  I thought my local home improvement store would have them but no.

Droogie

I think Small Bear carries them.
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

Clayford

they didn't have #6-32 screws? You need a new home improvement place.

head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

RobA

I have lost a couple, but I've also screwed up enough enclosures (drilling) to cover the misplaced screws.

My local old-fashioned non-chain hardware store does carry the screws. I just did a search of Mouser and Allied using the term "#6-32 screws" and I think these are the actual Hammond screws,

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-Manufacturing/1590MS100-EA/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtFmYSM%2fWUJwtt3wQ4Ezvm7l5EA%2fPKA9N7iUoz819MN1Q%3d%3d
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Clayford

They are. That's really strange though... #6-32 is a really common machine screw. Like an 8d nail is really common.

JohnL

Many of the screws we use are metric and available at your smaller hardware stores. Ace or True Value on the east coast often have fasteners in these white pull out drawers. 

das234

Quote from: Clayford on April 26, 2014, 01:30:06 PM
I was looking for stainless for some reason.  Looking at the Hammond ones, I guess they're just plated so maybe I'll take another look.

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Clayford

Quote from: das234 on April 26, 2014, 05:07:13 PM
Quote from: Clayford on April 26, 2014, 01:30:06 PM
I was looking for stainless for some reason.  Looking at the Hammond ones, I guess they're just plated so maybe I'll take another look.
Yes Zinc plated machine screws.

rullywowr

Hammond are 6-32. Metric for new sensor.  I also get them at true value hardware locally.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

bela1961

I don't think the actual thread size is the problem, its the type of screw head. Most machine screws have a half round head, where these enclosure screws have a tapered head more like a wood screw. Nice to see there are sources for them.